Garmin GPS Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin GPS Help

I am looking at buying a Garmin GPSmap 172c to put on the rig. I know very little about them and was looking for some assistance. I can get it for $250.00 new. I have never owned or used a GPS.

Do I need to buy the bluechart map right away or is the map on the unit sufficient for use for a while before spending the extra money for the card?

What all is on the factory installed map? I checked online but couldn't find any details.

Should I be looking at a different unit/units? Does anyone have any experiernce with this one?
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Factory installed shows really nothing Chip... You'll need to either borrow someones BlueChart or buy a copy of your own... I just bought a Garmin GPS MAP 76CSx and I bought the micro SD card. It shows all local hotspots etc... The micro SD is just another form of BlueChart mine will cover from Brownsville to somewhere in Florida...
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Thanks for the info......I may look at buying a current model since the 172c is discontinued. I would like to have one that will take a card that is not proprietary. so that I can use the cards that I have and load them from the PC. It sounds like a better way to go.
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Working...
      X