10 gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 gauge

I've found a Browning Gold Stalker for sale on another forum. The seller claims it's in excellent condition and it comes with a strap and complete set of chokes. He wants $500 and will pay shipping. I've requested he email me some pictures. So what's y'alls thought on a 10 gauge for goose/duck hunting? I shot a few rounds thru my buddies the other day messing around and he swears by them.
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

I think given todays technology and improvement on loads, coupled with the development of the 12 GA 3.5" load, the 10 GA is almost obsolete. If you look at the ballistics, they make 12 GA 3.5" that shoots faster and harder. Now it isnt as heavy of a payload(pellet count), but the pellets would still strikes with more energy. You can get pretty comparable payload and ballistics with modern day 12 GA 3.5".

Another disadvantage is the cost and availability of ammo. Even when you find it, there isnt a lot of different loads to buy, only a few manufacturers make 10 GA and they make basic loads.

Now, 10 GA do have their place I beleive. It is more of a late season snow goose gun when snows are floating at 40-50 yds and are very hard to work in closer. Then, I think it might excel SLIGHTLY in this case, but with practice and the proper load/choke setup, a 12 GA is just as effective in my opinion.

Sounds like a pretty good deal, it just comes down to personal preference and if YOU want it or not. Personally, unless I was a die hard goose hunter (I would be, just dont have a place to goose hunt right now ) I would spend your money on other things (ammo, practice, decoys, etc.)

Just my opinion, let me know if you want to here any more of it. Good luck.

M.M.
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Originally posted by majek_maniac View Post
      Just my opinion, let me know if you want to here any more of it. Good luck.

M.M.
      Thanks...that's exactly what I was looking for, someone else's view. You brought up some valid points and even though the gun is only $500, 500 is 500. It's funny the guy selling did say he was going back to just using a 12 gauge. Maybe he thinks the same way you do.
      Appreciate the input!
      Don't be a Nancy!
      If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
      X