thinkin about buyin my first fly rod!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinkin about buyin my first fly rod!

I am really cosidering picking up a fly rod for the first time. I don't want to invest a lot of money in my first set-up. What should I buy to start out?

I have absolutley 0 flyfishing experience, and want to pick it up because of the sightcasting opportunities that I sometimes have and always tell myself that it would be cool to have a flyrod right now.
    CHASIN REDS @ THE $$$$MONEY HOLE$$$$4
    WRECK EM TECH

Bass Pro Shop has a couple fly fishing classes that are free.not sure when they start them.im sure FTU offers them too.just ask the guys that work in the fly fishing dept.they will help you out.should be able to get into it for around $100 to $125.good luck
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Bass Pro Gold Cup III or IV I've been using this setup for 4 years yes I can go to a better one but I love it too much it holds up to good abuse and I can cast a good distance.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Spend the little exrta cash to get a rod that is guaranteed by the manufacturer. They will replace damaged rods for the cost of shipping. I have a TFO 9ft 8wt that i bought for about $200. I have damaged the guides twice in the past and they have replaced the damaged section for free i just had to pay for shipping about $25.

Comment

The setup at Bass Prop was around ~300 if I'm not mistaken... They guaranteed their rods I've had mine for 5 years beat the you know what out of it (not a problem) got some cool specs added to the rod from the painter's overspray.
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Just remember 10 and 2
            Try it you'll like it.
            Popper in the morning Popper in the evening

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I am looking to spend around $200 on my beginning set-up. I can always upgrade later.

Any opinions on this one:

Thanks! RR
              WRECK EM TECH

Comment

Nice set up
                Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Skiffstiff

RedRaider,
                  Put most of the $$$ into the rod.I would start w/a 7 or 8 wt. medium to fast taper.TFO(my favorite),Basspro,Cabella,Orvis all have very good combo sets available.
                  Remember you are casting the line so I suggest you get a compact wt. forward such as a sight casting or beginners line.All of the mfg. make them.
                  TAKE SOME LESSONS FROM A CERTIFIED CASTING INSTRUCTOR !!!!
                  It is best to learn the correct method than to develope bad habits on your own as I have done.
                  Check out the Texas Flyfishers web site for fly casting info.See you on the flats.
                  SKIFFSTIFF

Comment

FTU has a good combo deal that is worth considering. 8 wt rod, reel, and LINE - for about $150 (maybe less). And - they warranty the rod for breaks. If it breaks - they replace it.

People tend to forget that fly line is not cheap, and should be considered in the cost of a rig.

If you stick with fly fishing, you will outgrow this rig, but it is a great way to figure out if you want to spend more.
                    Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
                    and
                    Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

I have a bunch of rods your welcome to cast if your in the League City area.

Shoot me a pm if your interested.-Brandon

Comment

Thanks for the responces. Y'all have been a big help. I have really got the bug now. I may see if I can borrow one from a buddy this weekend to try it out.
                        WRECK EM TECH

Comment

i recently just started fly fishing and i love. what i did was i got a quick starter rod u can use to go salt and fresh water. i would start off in fresh water cause u r catching them take it to salt water

Comment

Working...
                          X