Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by RED RAIDER View Post
      How did most of y'all learn?

Self taught
      videos
      fly casting class
      private casting instruction
      Casting class when I was 10 or 12 and then hit the water and taught myself on a current. No real casting involved just flipping up current and letting it drift back down.

There's fly classes that Bass Pro offers. Also Steve Soule I've heard does some lessons not sure of his rates but I'm sure he can chime in goes by "shallowist" on the board.

I'm pretty much self taught... someone instructed me on how to string the rod, what knots to use what a tippet is. Pros & Cons of floating line vs. sinking basics when I was little at camp from there I've been off the races.

Never could master double hauling maybe its just the setup I'm using but that's a tough one!

Its all about breaking into a rhythm and each person has a different rhythm that works for them... Some say don't break the wrist some do... Start out with a small amount of line before you start throwing a lot... If you can't make a nice loop on both your forward & back cast then don't try and pull more line out take some in until you get your rhythm and form back. You should never fight the rod let it load up then go forward let it load up then go back... Its a real art and its a beautiful thing watching someone that's good with a fly.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I have been teaching people to cast for a few years now and here is what I recommend:

1. Watch a few youtube videos and read a few articles on the "mechanics of fly casting".
        2. Take a 1 Hour Lesson with a casting instructor to help refine your basic knowledge and teach you the proper technique
        3. Practice 15 minutes every day on grass.
        4. Buy a Mel Krieger or Lefty Kreh Video to continue to build your knowledge
        5. Go on a guided trip your first few times, this will help you decide if fly fishing is right for you.

We have a great system of suburban canals here in Houston that provide great beginner fishing opportunities. You can catch bass, blue gill, brim, cichlids, etc with just a 10 ft cast. Find one of these areas and fish the hell out of it. It will help you to learn about fly presentation, and fighting fish. Plus, you dont need a guide!

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Comment

Can anyone recomend an instructor on the Northside that will give a lesson in the evening after work? I live in the Spring/Humble area. Maybe even use their equipment the first time so I can learn more of what I need to buy.
          CHASIN REDS @ THE $$$$MONEY HOLE$$$$4
          WRECK EM TECH

Comment

the start wasn't pretty for me..... I was given a fly rod in 1989, and the old school, hold the book under your arm and cast 10 to 2 drill. I was at a park every evening beating that old fiberglass rod and myself to death. I had some very good anglers take me fishing back then and managed to pick up a few little things from them. It wasn't until I met a qualified instructor that I was able to refine my casting to something worth talking about. I was certified as a Federation of Fly Fishers casting unstructor in 1998, and have taught in the Houston area since.

My strongest recommendations are: go to the FFF website and purchase the booklet "Essentials of Fly Casting" and take the time to do at least one lesson with a QUALIFIED instructor. You will be far better off to learn the correct mechanics first, versus learning bad habits that you will spend a lifetime trying to break. I went the hard route, and wish that I hadn't. I teach directly from this booklet, and have found it to be the most concise and clear information about fly casting. The book teaches mechanics not style, and also provides the student with several very helpful drills and self evaluation techniques.

I am available for lessons anywhere in the Houston area, was in Jamaica Beach about two weeks ago with a member of this site. We identified two small areas within about fifteen minutes that had and will continue to have a profound effect on his casting. As far as how many lessons, everone is different. I teach so that people don't have to return to me regularly, and want people to be able to improve and advance on their own. Not a great business plan, but makes me satisfied knowing that they have the skills to improve on their own. The first lesson will cover basic casting mechanics, and advance as far as the students skills allow. Typically, the only need for additional lessons would be a developed casting error, learing to double haul, or some of the many techniques that I teach for distance, accuracy and casting in varying wind situations.

Shoot me a PM and we can discuss logistics.
            http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

I'm the guy in Jamaica Beach. Steve was very helpful. I have had several lessons in the past but was missing a few essentials that Steve quickly identified and made a huge difference. "Teaching Yourself to Fly Cast" by Bill Gammel is advd that follows the 5 essentials of fly casting recommended by TFF. Watching a good video would probably make you lesson with an instructor much more productive.

I just returned from Colorado and had to deal with some crazy weather. At times the wind was gusting @ 30mph straight down the canyon. The lesson with steve and the additional practice was a tremendous help. We still hammered 'em! Thanks Steve!

Comment

you tube has a bunch of stuff that will help, thats how I started. then I hired a guide to unteach me what I learned wrong(not that the videos were wrong, my form was and technique was wrong), and he taught me the right way.

Comment

Working...
                X