Trailer Bearings!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Bearings!!

So after 1/2 a year I hit the water w/ the boat but guess i didnt check to see if the bearings on the trailer were still in good shape... dont know (maybe 60 miles? maybe 5 miles?) when they busted but after getting to my friend's carwash after the trip we realized the wheel had been rotating around the spindle and it was red hot!! Do yall think judging from the picture i can just install new bearings or do yall think i need to get a whole hub kit? I dont think the spindle is damaged.. the tire's in good shape still too..
    Attached Files

I would put new hub kits on both sides, that way you know for piece of mind that they are good. Probably run you around $60-70 to do them both if I remember correct. Make sure the axle isn't scared or messed up when you get them off. Good luck
    Chris

Comment

also if your axle is warped it well go thur tires and wheel bearing ask me i've been there done that.
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Wow!! That's not the worst I've seen, but pretty common. Here's what I suggest. I would replace the hubs but examine the spindles real good. I had the same thing happen to me and grooved my spindle real good. I was able to round it off by hand with emory paper and the new bearings slipped on real easy.
        The most common misconception is that water enters the bearing thru the bearing buddies etc.... the truth is the rear seal breaks down and the bearing buddy causes the grease to seep out the back seal...if there is no pressure, water just settles in the bearing.
        In the future, peek at the back of the hubs to see if there is a buildup of grease. This is usually a sign of worn rear seals.. time to replace them.

Also, I would use the new synthetic grease options. I found some stuff. I don't know the proper name. It is nuclear green and cast 9$ a tube at Autozone... but nothing can break this stuff down. Wear gloves because Lava, Go-Jo, Gasoline, Acetone, cannot wash this stuff off.

Good luck....
        "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
        "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

how do u tell if the axle is warpped, scarred, or messed up?

Comment

Originally posted by slyell View Post
            how do u tell if the axle is warpped, scarred, or messed up?
            It's the spindle that needs the attention. You will know as soon as you try to slide the new bearings on. If they slide on easily, your good to go. If they stick or you feel you have to tap them on, you need to work it down with some emory paper...

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
              also if your axle is warped it well go thur tires and wheel bearing ask me i've been there done that.
              Yep, bent or warped axles are bad on tires... Bad springs also cause tires to wear....

Comment

thanks for the advice every1!

Comment

Ouch I had that happen... Ended up replacing the axle. I pulled bearing off tried putting new one on but it was bent from the heat... You'll probably need a new axle bro.
                  We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Fisher_Of_Men View Post
                    Wow!! That's not the worst I've seen, but pretty common. Here's what I suggest. I would replace the hubs but examine the spindles real good. I had the same thing happen to me and grooved my spindle real good. I was able to round it off by hand with emory paper and the new bearings slipped on real easy.
                    The most common misconception is that water enters the bearing thru the bearing buddies etc.... the truth is the rear seal breaks down and the bearing buddy causes the grease to seep out the back seal...if there is no pressure, water just settles in the bearing.
                    In the future, peek at the back of the hubs to see if there is a buildup of grease. This is usually a sign of worn rear seals.. time to replace them.

Also, I would use the new synthetic grease options. I found some stuff. I don't know the proper name. It is nuclear green and cast 9$ a tube at Autozone... but nothing can break this stuff down. Wear gloves because Lava, Go-Jo, Gasoline, Acetone, cannot wash this stuff off.

Good luck....
                    Good tip mine are showing wear...

Comment

Did that happen after our trip on Monday? That sux!!!!

AQUA PIMP
                      AQUA PIMP......
                      "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Sure did. I think the big guy upstairs is trying to tell me something... no more fishing! we found the dust cap in my driveway too, guess it fell off in the morning. but even w/ all that, i would say it was the most relaxing day i had all year.. nice stress relief to get aways from work and everything else. Thanks fo tha trip AP!

Comment

I don't know about this stuff, but I thought "bearing Buddies " were the way to go for sure to lube and protect the bearings from salt water.
                          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                            I don't know about this stuff, but I thought "bearing Buddies " were the way to go for sure to lube and protect the bearings from salt water.
                            Everything fails... In a perfect world after trailering your boat / trailer down to launch ~30 minute drive highway speeds you'd want to let your trailer "cool" cause as soon as you back it in water the heat dissipates... water enters and its pretty much unavoidable... Buddy Bearings are nice but heck if I know how to rebuild one looked pretty complicated more so than a normal bearing... Guess I need to get mine to the shop hope she makes it back home from Louisiana.

Comment

Well... that emory paper really cleaned it up.. sadly the spindle is damaged pretty bad.... cant even get it out the garage to a shop until i grind down the melted metal so the 2nd bearing can be pushed to the end. ahh.. $$ down the drain for a new axle.. another lesson learned.

Looks like surf and kayak fishing for the next couple months!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X