Getting ready for the season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready for the season...

I'm very safety conscious when I'm off shore. I always have the following on board:

EPIRB, SAT PHONE, VHF (fixed & waterproof portable one), 500' of rope, flares, aerial flares, Type 1 life jackets with whistles attached and signal mirrors on each... Water in jugs tied to float lines. I never deviate from my float plan I go over in detail with someone that's not going what rigs I'm going to and stick to it. If I deviate I call and check in and inform them of my current position and what direction I plan on running.

In the event of a rescue / survival situation:

I bought two dye bags.

This marker contains a fluorescent green dye which spreads over the surface of the water so as to increase ones visibility for a pilot to see. The marker can easily be placed in a a life vest pocket or life raft safety kits.

They are only $20 last for 30-40 minutes and put a green cloud around you.

Also available is this kind @ $6.00 I bought 4 of these and each one is hooked onto my 4 Type I life jackets along with the signal mirrors and whistles.

Just bought 4 of these "X-Pack Filter" System they have a desalinator filter that I ordered no power or effort is required to work this and its very compact and easily can be stored in a ditch bag. Muddy Water, Saltwater, Brackish it doesn't matter. The syrup they use that starts the process of osmosis actually provides nutrients your body is in need of during an emergency situation.

What other equipment do you all carry?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Found these as well... Survival water packets, MRE's but a lot of bulky material to carry. Saltines packed away and a jar of peanut butter does wonders. I also carry trail mix in a big bag on the boat that I prepare the night before.

Comment

I need to start this process. I am fishing out of a new to me boat this year and its bone dry when it comes to all of the necessities.

I have a SPOT and I am thinking about getting the SAT Phone if I can afford it. What SAT Phone are you using?

Comment

I bought one from http://www.globalstar.com/

It came with a Pelican Case, charger (wall) & cigarette (12V) I pay for service etc

http://common.globalstar.com/doc/com...0_brochure.pdf (the one I have)

If you call them you can probably get the phone, wall charger, pelican case & 12V charger... Not sure though sometimes they have specials... $0.19 a minute rate I just buy air time...
        Last edited by WestEndAngler; May 3, 2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks, where do you go out of?

Comment

Might consider an extra prop. I spun one out about 10-15 miles out coming in, had spare, changed it in the water...

Comment

Extra prop is a great idea...just in Feb ran across a guy who lost his about 25 miles off...when we stopped to see if all was cool he said he contacted someone to bring him one as he forgot to bring a spare...
              sigpic

Comment

Tools, flares and extra flares, vests, extra rope, extra plugs, water, Beer, vhf, cell, binocs, water, snacks, extra 2 cycle oil, ice, beer, coolers, beer, handheld vhf, redundant gps and sometimes a handheld also so 3 gps's, beer, bait, sammies, stereo, raingear and hopefully bikini clad ladies, TP, rags, towel, hook removal kit, gaff, pliers, venting tool, hookout, first aid kit and knife. Strobe lights for vests.

I like the dye packs-may get some-heck $6 is cheap and may save life!!
                Last edited by Robalo; May 6, 2010, 09:03 AM.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                X