Anchor not holding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchor not holding

I had a funky type of anchor I got at a boat show a while back, but it would not hold my boat in a high wind. So, yesterday I used my new blade type anchor that everyone has with all the anchor rope out in winds up to 20 mph and my anchor still wouldn't hold. I do have a raised console which catches more wind, not low profile at all. My power pole held like a champ though, but I don't want to rely on that , especially if I'm too deep to use it. Any suggestions ?
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

If you were on shell, good luck..... or at least, I haven't had much luck.

If you were on mud, chain and a sharp fluke type anchor should hold you just find.

I suspect if you are wanting to anchor on rocks/shell and also sand/mud, you'll need two anhcors: 1) mighty mite anchor for rock and 2) fluke anchor (danforth) for mud/sand.

Hope this helps.

Comment

don't feeel bad we had the same problem the other day and no power pole.
      try www.discountmarinesupplies.com
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

do you have a chain for the last few feet? makes all the difference in the world
        XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

anchor help

I have a reversed anchor I get from HEB. Holds my 23 haynie 98 time out of a 100 except in deep grass in high winds. Buy next size up than what is recommended. How much rope are you putting out? Higher winds you need more rope. I keep 120' on boat for bay fishing. Deep water a chain will help.
          Good luck.
          Mike

Comment

You need 6' of chain and a true Danforth type anchor. Lots of folks use that cheapazz anchor which has a slide ring and they aint worth a chit-that wind changes and rope rides up slide and adios boat-if a Danforth type, if wind changes, the shank may flip as well as the flukes, but it'll dig back in. Remember the rule 7:1 for rope length-for each 1' of water = 7' of rope and you should run a 6' chain minimum-the chain aids in setting and keeping weight near shank. On my 20' bay boat, I have an 8# danforth style. On 23' robalo, I have a 10# Danforth anchor-never broke free once I have a good set.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Chain makes all the difference

Comment

Thanks ,guys ,for the info. I had all 100 feet of rope out, 6 feet of chain, but the anchor I had gotten from Academy. The anchor is the blade type and looking at the supply house web page posted by REELTIME, I can't tell any difference between the Fortress one and Danforth ones as shown there. CAPTMIKE, I looked all up and down the isles at HEB and didn't see any anchors, not in produce or in meats, anywhere, LOL . What is HEB , please. I guess if it doesn't say Danforth , to pass it up. Help me as to where to purchase a Danforth and I'll get the biggest one that will fit in the storage locker. I guess maybe I should try to find a bigger and maybe longer chain than they sell at Academy as well, right ? Maybe carry two anchors as TORQUE says since I already have this one ?
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Academy has danforth types or should unless out of stock-an 8-10# is likely best for you. Do not get the double shank with ring that slides (it aint a danforth type anchor)-those sux and are what I would never own, except as a "throwdown" maybe. Danforth, like Fortress, is a brand name and they are basically the same. West Marine will have them also. I liked when I towed those idjits in 1.5 weeks ago-I asked why they didn't anchor and did they even have an anchor and they almost proudly showed me a 3# mushroom anchor-it'd work good on weighting down my canal fishing light!
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Har !! At least I know better than that. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

By the way, I did get the Academy double shank with ring one that sux.

Comment

I have a heavy Danforth that you are welcome to try & its yours if it works for ya. Just weighed 20 # on bathroom scale, poly coated. Let me know...

Comment

Originally posted by SCHU View Post
                          I have a heavy Danforth that you are welcome to try & its yours if it works for ya. Just weighed 20 # on bathroom scale, poly coated. Let me know...
                          From the input, that sounds like what I need. PM sent. Thanks a lot. HENRY

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                            Thanks ,guys ,for the info. I had all 100 feet of rope out, 6 feet of chain, but the anchor I had gotten from Academy. The anchor is the blade type and looking at the supply house web page posted by REELTIME, I can't tell any difference between the Fortress one and Danforth ones as shown there. CAPTMIKE, I looked all up and down the isles at HEB and didn't see any anchors, not in produce or in meats, anywhere, LOL . What is HEB , please. I guess if it doesn't say Danforth , to pass it up. Help me as to where to purchase a Danforth and I'll get the biggest one that will fit in the storage locker. I guess maybe I should try to find a bigger and maybe longer chain than they sell at Academy as well, right ? Maybe carry two anchors as TORQUE says since I already have this one ?
                            I don't know what type of boat you have but keep in mind that the anchor will not hold the boat if the wind that rocks the boat moves the anchor. A rule of thumb is that you need one and a half boat lengths of chain and then the rode (line/rope). The chain keeps the anchor on the bottom, as the boat moves up and down, the rope lifts up part of the chain but not all of it and the anchor will hold. The bottom type is also a big consideration. Around the gulf coast, probably the best anchor for universal use it the danforth style.
                            Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Henry what you need is me on the boat to set the anchor!....lol.give me a holler and we will hit yak or anything you know me.
                              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Working...
                              X