5-1-2010 east bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-1-2010 east bay

Arrived at fatboy's Saturday, about 6 AM, launched with light and headed to the Pig Pens. Strong early incoming tide , leveling off late morning, and gradually falling the rest of the day. Winds were SE 10-21 MPH, cloudy to some partly cloudy, beach water 72 degrees, barometric pressure 29.59 and falling all day, air temperature high of 78 degrees, minor feeding period 7:30 AM, major feeding period 3 PM, water greenish to sandy with about 5 " visibility, tides about one foot above normal. Lots of bait and feeding small trout at the Pig Pens. I used a 1/8 oz. jig head with a plum/white Norton sand eel. I landed 4 trout 15 "-17 ", had a bunch of short strikes and lost 5 with head shakes...they were small but scrappy. I had to get the tempo right for them to find and take the plastic. It took some experimenting with the retrieve.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Nice report. Sounds like a great time.

Comment

Continued

I went back to the boat and then started to work the inside pocket against the grass and geotubeds thinking that the wind would have stacked bait and fish there. I had not gone far when looking back with the wind picking up, I noticed my boat following me. The anchor was dragging, so I got back to it before it ended up on the grass.
      Attached Files
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Continued

When I had gone back to the boat before trying to fish the inside pocket, I had breakfast....the breakfast of champions, and lunch and supper too.
        Attached Files

Comment

Continued

I motored east to Elmgrove marsh and saw this cove with guts and water on the outgoing. The water was way deep right against the bank, I had to get out with the anchor and set it on the land side of this shell bank to hold the boat with the wind pumping. I tried wading the area , but it was so deep right against the bank and with no strikes, I got back in the boat and went up these bayou cuts where the water was about 5 feet deep . I cast all around and nothing.
          Attached Files

Comment

Continued

I continued east to Fat Rat Pass where this boat had just pulled in to fish the point gut with shell. I went to the very back of the cove and up the bayou some. With this high tide I thought fish would be back up in the bayous. No strikes.
            Attached Files

Comment

Great report!

Comment

Continued

I continued east near the shore looking for slicks and bait. Finally stopped about 100 yards from the entrance to Big Pasture Bayou, walked my anchor to the shore and put the power pole down, and waded into the wind casting a devil in waist deep water 6 feet from the shore. I had a solid hook-up at the mouth of Big Pasture and played it in thinking it was a red , but, it was a stinking gafftop instead. I waded around into the bayou some and then back to the boat.
                Attached Files

Comment

End

I headed back west to Yates Bayou Cove and slowly went to the west side for a look see and , lo, two slicks were visible originating next to the west bank. I anchored up and waded the shoreline without results. Slicks kept popping up a little out of casting range . I got back in the boat and drifted out from the shore some and put the powerpole down. Slicks kept popping behind and along side me , but I couldn't get a strike. I threw big tops, small tops , plastics, corkys, fat boys, devils, broken backs and a 1/4 oz silver spoon. They would have none of it. Frustrated and it getting late I started back, stopping a little while at Fat Rat Pass again and then a bone jarring ride back across the ship channel to Fat Boys at dark.
                  Attached Files

Comment

lots of gaftop everywhere right now. nice report!
                    the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Thanks for the report...sweet boat too.
                      "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

I'm wondering what the salt shaker was for?

Comment

Nice report! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
                            I'm wondering what the salt shaker was for?
                            For the jalepenos and chicken... don't lecture me like my mom, please, about too much salt.

Comment

Nice report Plugger!! There is Nothing better than cold fried chicken while you're fishin!!
                              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X