rifle cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rifle cleaning

i was wondering if anyone here restored rifles, my grandma has an old 30/30 i wanna use for hunting.. how much would you charge barrel is rusty and stock needs to be polished or whatever

If the inside of barrel is rusted and pitted, you may need a new one and it may be almost as costly as buying another better "used" version. Is it a winchester or marlin 30/30? You can tongue oil the stock-most are oiled, not varnished I believe. Nokatchin, Coachlaw, Moonpie or Majek Maniac are much more gun savy than me. Have ya cleaned the barrel-run powder solvent and copper solvent through it until patches come out clean, then inspect with a flashlight for pits? On outside, just a good cleaning rag with lots of cottoseed or remoil (light oil) and rub the heck outta ot like ya be polishing silver to remove some rust spots-that's what I've done on my WWII .303.-surface rust isn't bad I think, gives it some character, but a military folk would say I aint took care of it!!
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

this is my first time seeing it in about 3yrs, havent done anything to it. it was pass down from my uncle's old boss's dad he had since the early 1930's or 40's,then he gave it to my grandma some yrs ago. its a winchester

Comment

A pre-'64 Winchester Model 94? You may have something here. Best option would be give it a good standard cleaning much like Roabalo stated and take a look at the bore with a bore light. Then you will determine what you really have to deal with as far as pitting and bore damage goes.

If it is in decent condition and is a pre-'64 M94 Winchester, you may want to re-think using it as a field rifle. Those are great rifles and can be worth something, I have one myself, not a pre '64 but an older one. You can still shoot it and hunt with it, but if you hunt like I do, I put my gear through a gauntlet.

It may be cheaper and/or a lot easier to buy a new or used hunting rifle. Just my $.02. i'd be glad to take a look for you if you like, but I am by no means an expert gunsmith.

M.M.
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

It's probably a Winchester Model 94. A very popular model back in the day.
          They came in both rifle and carbine versions with the 20" barrel carbine the predominate version. Winchester made like over 4 million of them.
          Depends really on how much you want to spend.
          You can have it professionally restored which will costs hundreds or you can clean it up with some steel wool and a little oil yourself.
          Surface rust isn't a big deal to remove. Just go easy. Don't go full retard with a Dremel Tool or some such idiocy.
          LIGHT sanding of the stock and a light oil finish on the wood and you're good to go. If the wood is dark and soaked with years of grime and oil use some acetone to remove it. Then add the finish.
          A good cleaning is probably all that is needed to get it running.
          Unload it. Check down the barrel with a light from one end. See anything like rust, dirt, lint, dead bugs, etc. If the barrel is pitted don't despair. Pitted bores can and do shoot well. Run a patch soaked with Hoppe's No.9 solvent down the barrel. Remove as much dirt and crud as you can. Use ONLY a copper or bronze bore brush to scrub out any rust. DO NOT use a stainless steel bore brush. Stainless brushes are too aggressive.
          Most any gun shop can clean it up for you. They'll charge too much.
          I wouldn't recommend a complete refinish. Just clean it enough to check the rust and preserve it.

PM me if you have any questions.
          West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

research it some more beore you just restore it. Sometimes a bad restore can ruin any value. What part of town you in. I would be glad to take a look at it if you want to run it by Alvin. Got any pics?
            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Oh yeah lurefisher will be glad to test fire it or you!!!
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

If you can post some pictures of it, we might be able to tell you more.

Comment

ok i'll put some pics up on here wednesday, when i go and pick it up in galveston, was at party this past weekend and left it at grandma's house,

Comment

Originally posted by majek_maniac View Post
                    A pre-'64 Winchester Model 94? You may have something here. Best option would be give it a good standard cleaning much like Roabalo stated and take a look at the bore with a bore light. Then you will determine what you really have to deal with as far as pitting and bore damage goes.

If it is in decent condition and is a pre-'64 M94 Winchester, you may want to re-think using it as a field rifle. Those are great rifles and can be worth something, I have one myself, not a pre '64 but an older one. You can still shoot it and hunt with it, but if you hunt like I do, I put my gear through a gauntlet.

It may be cheaper and/or a lot easier to buy a new or used hunting rifle. Just my $.02. i'd be glad to take a look for you if you like, but I am by no means an expert gunsmith.

M.M.
                    im on the northside of houston but im always traveling to galveston, i'll let you check it out just let me know when.

Comment

see, these guys know their stuff!! great advice and dang nice of them to offer to check it out with ya. First class fellas!!
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

If you do decide to clean it yourself invest in a good quality cleaning rod.
                        Don't use an aluminum. Get a brass or nylon coated steel rod.
                        With a Model 94 you'll be working the cleaning rod from the muzzle end so be very careful about rubbing the rod against the edge of the barrel crown( crown = mouth of barrel).
                        Soak a patch with solvent and carefully pass it down thru the bore until it comes out on the breech end. REMOVE THE PATCH. Then withdraw the rod and wipe it off with a clean rag. Allow the solvent to soak in the bore for a few minutes.
                        Then pass another wet patch and remove it.
                        Do this several times until the patch doesn't have any grit, dirt, crud on it.
                        Black residue is normal and you may even have a bit of blue color on the patch. The bluish residue is copper residue. This is normal.
                        What you don't want to do is drag any crud back up the bore on a dirty patch.
                        Once you have the bore semi clean of crud/junk examine it with a light.
                        You may be surprised its not as bad as you think.
                        Pre-64 Model 94's are nice guns but they aren't worth all that much unless they're in mint condition. The rifle versions are worth more than the carbines.
                        Look on the top of the tang rearward of the hammer. This is where the model number will be stamped. The serial number will be on the bottom of the receiver up near the front wood handguard. You can date it pretty good using the serial#.
                        Clean her up and take her out and make it go boom.
                        Post After Action report or we all come over and whoop ya!
                        West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

here's some pics of the rifle it looks like it use to have a strap on it or something, oh can someone tell me where can i find out how old it is(website) would be great.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	rifle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	551825

Name:	rifle2.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	551826

Name:	3rifle.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	551827

Name:	4rifle.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	551828

Name:	5rifle.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	551829

Comment

Oh my!

Yeah, thats a 94. Looks like its has a scope mount base on it too.

Thats worse than I expected.
                            Are those big splotches on the barrel actual rust blisters or some type of padding/cloth material(like from inside a rifle case) that are stuck to the barrel?

I'm afraid your rifle is in pretty dire shape.
                            Collector value is shot but it can probably be brought back to life as a shooter.
                            Is it as bad internally as externally?

Going to require some pretty heavy handed refinishing.
                            It can be done but it will require a lot of work.

Comment

Look for the serial # just in front of the lever.
                              If it's still readable, go here to date it.
                              http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featu...el70WO_200803/

Comment

Working...
                              X