Ray-Guards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray-Guards...

Did my second wade today in GISP with my new ray-guards and LOVE THEM. I still do the "stingray shuffle." Didn't have a problem with rubbing my shins as in a previous post. I have been stung twice while surfing back home in San Diego and would like to avoid it again. People don't realize that stingrays can whip those tails up and around to hit your shins/calves.

Imagine someone taking a bull whip with a needle sharp icepick at the end then whacking you... NO JOKE... the first time I was hit, the ray hit me so hard the barb went through my skin and into my small toe bone running to my heel... Second time in my calf. Don't plan on walking without crutches for a couple weeks and watching the wound turn into every color of the rainbow.

Like my grandpa always says "Son, its easier to stay out of trouble than get out of trouble." WEAR YOUR RAY GUARDS and save yourself a trip to the hospital... Read the article in the Saltwater mag from last year about the guy that almost had to have his foot amputated after being hit.

People say they shuffle their feet, but its the times AFTER you have been standing for a while. Your feet get stuck for a second in the mud, you yank the other foot out and stomp it down to regain balance.... THAT is when it happens, not when your walkin around.

My 2 cents

as i get older i think it's a wise decision to wear some kinda protection from the ray's but i guess i'm old school.I may buy a pair next year. Last sat. and sunday we saw some up in the bayou and one big saddleblanket ray.....Something to think about. They have moved back into to the bay for sure.
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

sure have... I was casting from the bank in Laffite's cove and lost count of them swimming by the wall. I saw a 3' wide ray with a loooooonnng *** tail and a good sized barb.

Plus think of it like this.... Your out by yourself and no one around and your a couple hundred yards out in mud. You get hit, good luck walking on it AKA... good luck getting back in. And if lighting strikes twice on your good foot (because your hoping)... get a subscription to netflix and a LOT of beer cause your gonna have nothing but time.

Comment

I've been hit so now I wear my rayguards or wind river guards everytime.
        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Stingrays are the most dangerous threat wading next to fishing hot currents around places like SLP. I've always used stingray guards, it's stupid not to. I've used the strap on kind, but they get twisted around and ride up when the strap under your boot rides up your heel , especially wading mud and the surf. This year I bought the Everlast ones attached to the boot to keep them in place. I've used them once, but I don't think I'll go back to the strap on kind.
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Did you get the new G2 ray guards from Forever last? I just found out that if you purchase the G1 online, they send you the G2 version (I hope)!
            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

I bought whichever kind they have at academy in Galveston. They were $114. I was contemplating buying small boots and guards separate, thinking my feet would get hot. Im glad I bought the full boot with built in guard. Its nice to have extra support and extra barrier walking through brush and deep mud. I got into some stuff yesterday that was deep enough to engulf the small boot...

Comment

You got the ray guard/boot combo, which was another thing I was looking at. Supposed they (foreverlast) has the new G2 version out, but I have not seen them in the store or online. I have only seen them in the Texas Saltwater magazine I get monthly.
                LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

I have the boot & guard (full boot) that I bought but I think I need to wear socks while wading because the front of the boot rubs my shins just under my knee and makes it raw... No fun I can feel the flesh eating bacteria going to work!
                  We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Coe, I had the same thing and you can buy the wader socks at Academy. Don't get the ones with Fleece, the box says good for wet wading. I tried them last night and it helped.
                    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

If you are wearing pants... put the pants INSIDE the boot.... Will help A LOT!

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
                        If you are wearing pants... put the pants INSIDE the boot.... Will help A LOT!
                        I'm usually in shorts but good idea might as well utilize the zip kind...

On another note, anyone find any wading pants that don't have the bathing suit liner? I usually cut them out...

Comment

I like my snake boots, comfy

Comment

Magellen at Academy has the zips without liner, picked up a pair yesterday. I think like 18 bucks... and its the super light fabric that dries in 2 seconds. Comes with waterproof pocket

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
                              Magellen at Academy has the zips without liner, picked up a pair yesterday. I think like 18 bucks... and its the super light fabric that dries in 2 seconds. Comes with waterproof pocket
                              Remind me to buy you a beer!

Heading there on my way down the Island.

Comment

Working...
                              X