Which fuel additive to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which fuel additive to use?

A couple wks ago I had my mtr in for service, she was idling real bad and would die sometimes. A major problem while trying to load her back up on the trailer at times.. Anyways, I took it to Boats ETC here in La Porte were I live and a few friends have said their service was good but a little on the high side. It was her 1st Service call, 128 hrs showing, a basic 100 hr ck up and had them look at the fuel lines. The mtr is a 2004 Yama 115, boat of course a 19ft Bluewave CC. They found my fuel lines from the tank to the mtr were junked up, corroded from the Ethanol gas plus the low spd carbs needed rebuilt. The fuel filter had small black spots in her from the fuel lines no doubt. He cut open a portion of the fuel lines and it was a mess for sure. Also a new water pump/injectors cleaned and a fuel/water separtor added..
    My point is,
    I've never used a fuel additive since I've own her ( 3 yrs ) but the tech highly and I mean highly recommended a fuel additive. Yamaha makes a additive that is good he said but also Seafoam/Stabil and a few others were just as good. So which do ya'll use and does it matter which type of gas ( brand ) is one better than the other? I use the mid grade at all times... and try to keep the tank full at all times!!
    BTW, she is running better and idles much better and runs like a screaming ape.
    Any thoughts/comments? Dam this Ethanol
    Thanks in advance,

wd
    Last edited by Bluewaver; May 18, 2010, 11:15 PM.

Stabil with every tank.I also close the vent to almost sealed off to try and not let any air in till i need to.After having to pull the carb and clean a few times[thanks to Gregor for the carb lesson]i have'nt had any problems.

Comment

Sta-Bil (Blue Marine Formula)

I also use Seafoam every once in a while. They do different things, so why not?
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Most guides in middle coast use Seafoam, stabill will not stop varnish buildup over time. I have used seaform on honda air motors for years, had them set up for 10 months start and run fine on old gas. Yamaha lube is good and helps keep rings from seating. I don't use any as regular as I should, since I have already burned over $1500 fuel this month, but will go put some in today.
        Good luck,
        Capt. Mike O'Dell

Comment

For my Yahama, I only use ring free and and an additive that Albert turned me onto. Can't remember the name right now, but Albert might reply. Great stuff! Engine runs like a champ everytime.
          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Pri-G. No need to use anything else.

Comment

That is it! Thanks albert, I actually need to get more soon.
              LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

x2 on thr Pri-G!

Comment

Kool, Thanks Guys for the response.. Never heard of the Pri-G but will give it a shot, again Thanks!!
                  wd

Comment

Bluewaver,
                    You have to pick it up at the manufacture, which is off 610 and the old katy freeway. BTW, one bottle fill over 500 gallons and has lasted me over two years.

Albert,
                    What was the name of the company?
                    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Let me know that's over in my neck of the woods I could pick some up and bring it to Tournament
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Cool offer but I be working this wkend, come to think of it I'm forgetting how to fish b/c of soooo much OT. But I aint complaining mine you, my wife has some real pretty shoes and hair do

Thanks guys,
                        wd

Comment

probably cheaper at the manufacturer, but meeks sells it...

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer21 View Post
                            Bluewaver,
                            You have to pick it up at the manufacture, which is off 610 and the old katy freeway. BTW, one bottle fill over 500 gallons and has lasted me over two years.

Albert,
                            What was the name of the company?
                            The company that makes Pri-G is: Power Research Inc, they are located at, 6970 Portwest Drive, 713-490-1100. The are right across the street from the CCA offices. Guys, I can't tell you how good this product is. They have been treating fuel for ships across the country for many years., Call them if you have any questions, or Chris Mapp at Coastal Bend Marine.
                            Last edited by Mell Wader; May 21, 2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I prefer Whiskey Makers Mark to be exact!!! Oh wait I didnt read the thread very well Oops!! Ok I still like Makers Mark as an additive!!! I off to another thread!
                              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X