Is this a deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a deal?

I'm new to kayakin. Been reading a ton of info. Found a Prism Perception 15' for 600.00 thru a friend. Great shape, fully loaded- high back seat- paddle-anchor-leash(whatever that is)-rod holders-ready to fish. Is this a good handling yak for gal. west bay area, I mainly fish SLP area. Is this a good starter yak for a person 5'11 230lb. Yak is a 2008. I will test drive this weekend. Thanks for ANY advice.

I'm not going to comment but I just glanced at some of the prices that these guys paid and for a used 2 year old Kayak there will be some depreciation however you are getting ALL the accessories. The seat is the main thing I spend my money on besides the paddle of course.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Hey Coe, I think that is your name, thanks for info. But New to kayakin, Is this a good yak for first timer.

Comment

Hi RM,...the Prism P 16 is one of the faster kayaks. It will probable feel a little tippy for a beginner, but it has good secondary stability.
          I personally like the shorter yaks (12ft),.....just because I can throw it in the truck bed and go.
          Give it a test paddle,....and try some others to compare.
          The price seems fair.
          What kind of paddle is in the deal?

Comment

Hey R C, Isn't a 12' less stable than 14'? I can swim, just dont like to when fishin. I'll find out names of seat/paddle . Those seem to be important for comfort. I'll let ya know.

Comment

Forgot, "Secondary stability?"

Comment

16' kayaks are fast and in order to be fast, they are narrow. the shorter you go, the wider the kayak the more stable it is. Its a trade off and one you must choose. Fast or stable.

Comment

The shorter kayaks are usually wider for more stability.
                  I have a Manta Ray12 that has great secondary stability. I use it both in the bay and surf.
                  I also have a Cobra Fish n Dive that I use for offshore. It is one of the widest at 36",.....I can move around on it without fear of ever tipping.

Whatever you chose, don't forget the PFD.

Comment

Originally posted by reelmacoy View Post
                    Forgot, "Secondary stability?"
                    When you lean away from the center of gravity on a kayak it will begin to tip a little,....the secondary stability stops it from going further,.....Clear as mud huh? LOL

Comment

I started out with a Perception Prism. It is a nice kayak, but I think it sucks for fishing. It has no easily accessible below-deck storage and no open well area in the back. Bottom line: it was too hard to carry any fishing tackle, or even a small cooler.

The hatches on it are nice - but they are not designed for easy on-the-water access.

The boat is also a little on the not-stable-enough side for a 230 pound fisherman.
                      Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
                      and
                      Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

I have a 15 foot perception, and mine is about 3 years old. it has an aft tank well that I put 2 soft sided coolers in and a waterproof plastic box for things I would need to access while fishing. i keep my lure box between my legs on the floor. I keep a big bag in the front hatch with extra reel, wallet, keys, etc. i beach it to get to that. i weigh 200 pounds and have no stability problems. i sit often with my feet in the water on one side and never have felt unstable. I'm in that position when I get my coolers ...full of ice / fish and can be heavy, and yet have no issues with unstability. Good speed, never flipped it , been all over with it, open bay with no problem. I do recommend a rudder as an essential.. helps turning and drifting a shoreline when casting. $ 600 sounds good, and you are getting it from a friend who will deal honestly with you.
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Thank yall for the info. I guess the test drive will also help make the choice. Again thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X