How far out on the South Jetty.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far out on the South Jetty.??

Thinkin of changing it up some & maybe trying the Jetties (South)..soon.
    Is there a recommended distance out or is the depth approx. the same
    all the way out ? I would think it's deeper the farther out you go..
    Just curious. I have a trip booked with Capt Mullet on Monday but I
    also want to try the Jetties sometime next week..!!
    My last week off before returning to work....AAHHHHHHH...Crap...
    Had a month off & have been fishing nearly every day..!!!

Any info on this area would be appreciated...
    Would you recommend Live bait or Arties out there..??

Thanks guys...
    Troutfan62...

Had luck with topwaters early right before the cut. caught most of the fish further down just before the jagged rocks start.

Comment

live shrimp at the boat cut at the north jetty would be your best bet.

Comment

I've walked the south jetty rocks a lot, but not since Ike. The sand and guts near the beach have changed and are still changing due to the constant water action. But, farther out , yes, the deeper it gets as you go out. remember those rocks are pyramid shaped. What you see is the top of the pyramid and the rocks slope down into the water. Expect to loose some tackle unless you use a cork.
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Early morning at the cut with live or dead shrimp,finger mullet. Same at evening time at the cut. Watch out...strong currents rip through the end of the jetty's. Have a Danforth style anchor and at least 6ft of chain attached to the anchor line. You can hook Ling's and king's out at the jetty's. Plus numerous shark's. Now that the water is warmed up greatly..you never know what you can hook into at the jetty's. Cork's are a plus if you want to keep your tackle. Soft plastic's work well too..and the occasional gold spoon is another fave.Use plenty of good wire leader at the end of the jetty's or just past them. If you use mono leader..make sure it is 50lb or greater so,you avoid those painful break-offs. Good luck and catch lot's of fish.
          They like shiny spoons...

Comment

Everyone has their spots. Once you get to know them you will too. I'm a fan of the North Jetty. There's a a few deep holes before the boat cut. Then if you get there before boat traffic the boat cut is nice but after traffic gets there I usually go through and to the right towards the sunken boat or towards the end. All great spots.

I know some use super huge tackle at the jetty but I'm still a risk taker here. In the bay I use Seaguar 10lb Fluorocarbon all the way. Sometimes 12lb but mostly 10. When I got to the jetties I'm still only bumping up to 15lb but with a 20lb leader. I rarely go heavier unless I plan on hitting a rig. If a smack or shark cuts me off that's great... I didn't want them anyway. If I see there is potential for kings, ok.. I'll add a wire leader. My theory is the more natural your bait the more hook ups.

Comment

I'm a light tackle fan too. 20lb schock leader with 10lb main line. But, I'm only after Trout and nothing else. I do have an occasional cut off by the no english speaking Mackeral. My favorite area is the channel side of the boat cut. If I can't get my limits by 9am I'm out of there and off to my 2nd or 3rd honey hole away from the jetties. My only stratagy is a free linned Skrimp fished right up next to the rocks. Deadly deadly deadly!

Some great info here by everyone keep it up ya'll

AQUA PIMP
              AQUA PIMP......
              "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Wow!! Great info.. Well, Most all on the boards know I love the jettys. It's just about all I fish now. I like it because of the variety of fish you can catch, plus my success percentage is higher at the jettys.

Here is my two cents... If I can get some solid big live shrimp, I do what Pimp does. I put them on a hook and toss them at the rocks and hold on. If they are medium size, I use a cork, not a plastic cork becaue they crack and break when they hit the rocks, use foam corks as you need to get that bait as close to the rocks as you can, and that will mean hitting the rocks a few times. If the bite slows, then I usually follow Pimp to his second or third honey hole

Remember that the jettys are a fish super hiways. The fish cruise up and down the rocks. Give a spot a chance to produce, some places are better then others but with patience, all areas will produce fish.

I will be out there this Saturday. Look for the Carolina Skiff 258DLV with the 150 Suzuki. Give us a wave.. I am treating a couple of "Dads" to a day on the water... Weather permitting, should be a great day...
                "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
                "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

Thanks for all the good info guys...
                  Haven't made it out there yet but will sutre hit it this summer.
                  Just to try it...

Troutfan62..

Comment

Working...
                  X