• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder Regulation Changes TPWD Meetings

Flounder Regulation Changes TPWD Meetings

Issue with the Southern Flounder

Main causes for decline in the southern flounder population are

-Fishing pressure – More fisherman and better / efficient ways of harvesting

-Temperature- Warmer waters, by only 2 degrees Celsius offshore during spawning has hurt the population

-Bycatch- 06’ estimates for flounder bycatch from bay trawls is 203,266 (numbers of fish). In contrast, 01’ estimates of bycatch were 925,336 fish and in 94’ just over 1.5 million. So clearly the buy back of shrimpers license has worked, but not enough to impact the flounder population as a whole.

Couple of statastics that need to be known per TPWD

Compared to reds and trout over the past 20 years, flounder catch rates in TPWD gill nets have declined 56%, while red drum have increased 55% and spotted seatrout have increased 37%.

The annual commercial harvest of flounder is now 67,800 pounds, which is well below the peak 560,300 pounds in 1986. 67,800 pounds is 41,680
    fish.

The avg. rod and reel angler catches 1.4 flounder when flounder are caught. The giggers avg. is 4.4 flounder.

When flounder are landed, the avg. rod and reel angler lands 1 flounder 83.4% of the time or 2 flounder 9.1% of the time, but less than 1% land 10 per angler. Giggers land 1 flounder 19.4% and 2 flounder 17.9% and 7.5% land a 10 person limit.

Spawning Stock of female flounder (ages 2+) has droped from 1 million in 1997 to just over 400,000 in 2005....in less than 10 years.

Less than 1% of flounder caught are over 20 inches.

In Summary

-Flounder Population decreasing with a major drop in the last 20 years
    -High fishing Pressure and recent warmer water temps, have further decreased the population
    -Previous actions favored the population but did not reverse the overall trend

Proposed changes

Drop in flounder limit from 10 to 5 fish
    this is an alomst given.....and has to be done

Drop in commercial limits from 60 to 30 flounder
    if the recs have to do it so do the commercials

Partial Closure of the season for flounder
    An Oct - Dec closure would thave the greatest impact in flounder populations.
    BUT- Would they ever give it back, not likely, they did'nt for the Redfish, and TPWD has tried twice to give us greater limits.[/I][/B]
    Why not make a change to those who it would effect the least?

WHAT I PROPOSED
    1. 5 fish Rec bag limits
    2. 60 to 30 commercial bag limits
    3. DO NOT CLOSE THE rod and REEL season, do a temporary closure for all gigers Recs & Commercial from Oct. - Dec.

Everyone who fishes with a rod and reel needs to let you voice be heard.......what ever they do, do not let them close it off to rod and reel fishermen.

These proposed changes will have a good impact on the flounder, and effect the smallest of the fishing population ( the giggers) with out hurting bussiness who depend on the flounder bussines to keep the going thru the slow season and letting the rod and reel fisherman still have a shot at fish during the run. Game fish status will only hurt the giggers as it will not allow anyone to gig...EVER. Remember you can still catch and release, but you can not do that with a GIG !!!
    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Your comments can still be heard before they go befor the commision....

Contact Tonya Wiley at tonya.wiley@tpwd.state.tx.us (281) 534-0131 or
    Art Morris at art.morris@tpwd.state.tx.us (361) 825-3356.

Please feel free to use my proposed changes.

Commision takes action March 25- 26 in Austin.

Changes will take effect September 1, 2009
    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

REMEMBER- Gigging for flounder still has a place in Texas Coastal traditions, and we can not let it slip away, but the commercial guys have gotten so good at it....there has to be an opportunity for the fish to make it out and spawn.
      FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Muddskipper. I feel the same way as you and will voice my concerns via email today.

Some how I see a gigging stamp in our near future.
        Don't be a Nancy!
        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Originally posted by FlatoutFishin View Post
          Thanks for the reminder Muddskipper. I feel the same way as you and will voice my concerns via email today.

Some how I see a gigging stamp in our near future.
          I see what your saying....but what is the money going too.....

The hatchery thing is more than 5 years out......as they do not have it down yet.......

They are getting closer....but it's not the majority of the REC giggers that is making the negative impact.....
          FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

I got a letter and a card to mail in the TPWL yesterday from CCA.They recommended cut limits in half for the rec and commercial and close the flounder fishing from Oct thru DEC.I would prefer gigiing be closed those months and let you catch with rod and reel.
            NK
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by Muddskipper View Post
              I see what your saying....but what is the money going too.....

The hatchery thing is more than 5 years out......as they do not have it down yet.......

They are getting closer....but it's not the majority of the REC giggers that is making the negative impact.....

Just a deterent for would be giggers and a way to make a little jack for TP & W.
              Don't be a Nancy!
              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

i was at the dickinson meeting.. def. agree with cutting the limit to 5.. there is no reason to keep more than 5 fish, any speices.. i never come home with more than 3 fish anytime i fish by myself no matter water kind they are..
                Boats and hoes.

Comment

Muddskipper:

I agree with your proposal-I guess Joe Kent mentioned you today (without name) in his column.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

If its this bad bad then I would support a aggressive aproach.

Seasonal closure for all and a Flounder stamp. All funds go directly to enforcement and
                    the hatchery program.

The past couple of years my bags have been getting bigger and more numerous.
                    I don't see the problem at all. I think the krill surveys are flawed but thats just one mans .02
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Working...
                    X