SPI Last week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPI Last week...

Took the family down to South Padre Island last week. Met up with more family and friends for a grand total of 56 people. I thin I gained 10 pounds.

Went fishing twice. First time out was Memorial Day Monday morning. Left the docks around 6:15. Went across the bay to the color change just west of the intercoastal in about four feet of water. We were throwing pumpkin seed touts. Had first trout by 6:45 am and we continued to hit 'em drifting this area, motoring back, drift it again. By 8:30 we boxed 15 and threw back another 15. I did manage two trout that were 24" and 24.5". I don't catch a lot of specs that size so needless to say I was pretty pumped. The other keepers were around 18" on average.

We then headed north to the fish the hole south of Cullen house and drum boat flats with about fifty of our now closest friends and their boats looking for reds. They have been extremely scattered and this continued this week as well. We did find a herd of over sized fellas along with everyone else. Real different kind of fishing down here. Once you find the herd, pretty much every boat in the bay motors in and surrounds 'em. I counted ten boats around one pod of reds all chunking in the middle of the circle we formed. I truly sat and watched in amazement as one D Bag took his boat in the middle of them and scattered them all out. My dad caught a bruiser that measured 32 and that was fun as my dad gets to bay fish usually once or twice a year so I was glad that he was the one who hooked up. Temp ran up to at least 95 out there and we headed in a noon.

Thursday am same drill. This time however a small front moved through the night before and really scattered them out a bit. We boxed five or six trout with one of those being a 23" caught by yours truly. We went on a red hunt again but never found 'em however my dad scratched one 23" red out which was cool.

I do love the water down there. Again, the fishing is very different that far south. Gin clear water to ten feet. What's fun is seeing a group of piggies getting chased by a trout, throwing behind it and watching the big girl hook up. When seeing this I tend to want to set the hook early as my eyes I guess trick me as hey seem to be "on" before they truly are...but hell, getting to watch that is a ball.

Lastly, saw a few turtles which I think is one of the coolest things ever. I would have loved to get a snapshot of one of them but it is see it now and then gone if you follow.

Looking forward to getting back to West Bay next weekend and seeing how everyone did last week. Later...
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Sounds like a good trip-shoulda stayed on them troutskis and forget the reds-seems like Cullens and the cut area are always packed and there has to be one jerk in every crowd.

Saw one at my spot-same bastage that was chucking baits at my buddy that was wading and my buddy asked, "Am I in your way?" and they said "No, you're OK there." they dint have a clue-he and his two kids (which was reason we dint beat him to sheeit) were in boat and pulled up about 10' from my buddy and plopped baits all around him. I think we shoulda admonished or beat him, so his kids would learn-next time I will admonish some jerk with his kids so his kids unnerstan courtesy.

Mark and me had a good offshore trip-took my boat. Bays have been ok fishing.

See ya this weekend.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Sounds like a great time.congrats on the catch
      Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Working...
      X