need twin 70-90 hp motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need twin 70-90 hp motors

Bought a whaler w/ twin 1979 evinrude 85HPs and it looks like they are not in good shape. One has lower unit with all water and one with zero fluid and has a hard time turning over.
    Keith over at dockside says they aren't worth fixing. I dunno what to think because they have less than 75hrs on em.
    If anyone knows of a good mechanic that is actually open to the idea of and optimistic let me know.
    Also, if anyone is selling/knows of someone selling some twins in 70-90 hp range let me know. I have thought of getting a single but do not want to deal with sealing the holes, repainting. Another problem with a single will be the crashguard on the back of the boat will not clear a single outboard.
    Thanks for your help!!

Huh? I doubt they have 75 hours on em and 1979 model with bad seal on lower unit and no fluid in other-sounds like junkola to me, but I'm guessing you mean the powerheads since last rebuild. If they been rebuilt more than once, likely the cylinder walls are too thin, so that's one concern. Another is age- and another is whoever had them didn't take care of them obviously, so that's another issue. What size whaler are they on now? I don't know what a crashguard is? If you mean transom, yes, to put a single on you will likely need to cut it to meet specs so prop is at right depth. I went from single to twins on 23 Robalo-transom work and controls and SS props were about $5k, engines (2003 model 115 mercs in crates) were $10k. Then later (last year) rebuilt transom to tune of about prolly $4k. Regardless, you have a boat-sounds like you need to repower with twins and ya need to look around. Mine were due to a lawsuit against Merc-guy got em as part of settlement and sold em cheap and still in crates and under warranty-they were a year old when I bought em. Start looking around-ya also need to check out gas tanks-it almost sounds like boat was under water???? Hope not, if it was, the electrical is ? and gas tank and lines are also ? I think you have a major project on your hands.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I'm about to let go of my 1998 90 hp Yammie.
      I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Here are some pics of the boat. its a 19' RAIDER USMC Boston Whaler. See big black bar protecting motors= crashbar

Correct, It was a complete rebuild, everything except crank. The compression on em is 125 all around and havn't been run in a while. I have found some lower units w/ new gear boxes/water pumps/impellars/seals for 250 each. I need a power pack, 3 coils and carbs rebuilt. I have all gauges but no throttle box.

Robalo- about the cyl walls, I think they should be ok (correct me if im wrong) from what I understand, the same V4 block was used for the 85, 90 and 110, so re-bored cyls shouldn't be too thin.

parts are pretty easy to find and cheap.

I like the dual setup (bc they are already there) and dont want to deal with filling holes, matching gelcoat (big $, I think)

If I can find a GOOD deal on some twin yammies, or buy two motors from separate sellers, I would do it. Otherwise, I think that I can get my Rudes back up and running for less than a new DFI motor.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X