88 hp johnson problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 hp johnson problem

ok took it out this morning.Starts good,idles and runs ok 1/4 throttle.When I try to give it full throttle it will come up to full rpms for a couple seconds and then just loses rpms and dies.

Check gas tank vent, gas lines and filters. Just a start.
    Beandaddy

Comment

Originally posted by Beandaddy View Post
      Check gas tank vent, gas lines and filters. Just a start.
      Beandaddy
      All that seems to be good.

Comment

PM sent
        Beandaddy

Comment

Carbs, fuel pump OR the fuel line connector.

Comment

Another buddy just told me fuel line connecter.Start there,then fuel pump and then the shop.

Comment

I had one that had a crimp in the fuel line under the deck. Ran just like yours -- fished another line through there and I was good to go. I could actually watch it suck all of the fuel out and collapse the pump bulb as I was trying to throttle up.
              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

gets plenty of fuel to the motor.

Comment

I don't know how far you are from Liverpool, but gregr1971 will set it straight for a super fair price! I ain't kiddin'. Send him a PM. We're lucky to have a guy with his skills hangin' out with us on this forum. - Sandy
                  From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Could it be the fuel pump diaphram. We had one do things like that only ours would run 5-6 minutes then shut down. Could be electrical also as in heats up and disconnects, then cools down and reconnects, etc. Lotsa stuff can go wrong and the more techno it is, harder to troubleshoot.

Comment

When was the last time you did the Carbs ?

I would do mine on the 88 spcl every 18 months ....... the jets get clogged

That's where I would start .......
                      FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

carb plugged up
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

rebuilt fuelpump.compression is about 125 on all cylenders.still not working.I guess carbs are next.

Comment

Don't just rebuild them Fuzzy. Make sure You syncronize them. I rebuilt some on a 70 evinrude and it ran like crap until I had them synct. That was ten years ago and My uncle still runs it with no probs with nothing done to it but plugs and lower unit oil. Best running O/B I ever saw.
                            Beandaddy

Comment

Heck with it taking it to Mikes in Pasadena in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X