Was it a submarine I hooked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it a submarine I hooked?

So I'm fishin' from the dock on Thursday afternoon. I catch a rat red, then a hardhead, which went into the crab trap. Then I hooked something. It never slowed down, never sped up. It just kept going. There was no turning it. I do not think whatever it was even knew it was hooked. I jumped in the boat, untied, threw her in reverse, then into forward. All this while holding the bent over rod in my hand mind you. Then pop! I was completely spooled by the wraith. I surmise that it was a BIG bull shark, but others have said perhaps stingray. I would not have been surprised to see the Nautilus surface.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Jack? my guess?
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

titlum tatlum Loch Ness......
      Captain Glenn Stevens
      Coastal Guide Service
      www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Originally posted by txwhaler 22 View Post
        titlum tatlum Loch Ness......
        x2
        sigpic

Comment

Big ray. They don't turn, they don't surface, and they pull like a truck.

A shark will usually bolt when you hook it - off like a rocket. But not a ray. Like being hooked to a bulldozer.
          Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
          and
          Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

I foul hooked and caught a huge barnacle crusted old turtle (3' across) a few yrs back near tit tat, so consider that too....

Comment

I saw a pretty good size turtle the other day when I was in there. Cruising along the bottom .. probably 2.5 feet across the back. Hopefully you needed a line change on your reel anyway.
              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Another possibility, alligator gar?

Comment

I think Ray.......
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

It was just steady, nonchalant pressure, very much like the aforementioned bulldozer.
                    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Rays will usually stick on the bottom literally after you hook em & its hard to get em to move. Big shark will cut the line with its tail soon. Anybody's guess. Big drum/red?

Comment

scuba diver?
                        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

I with Walker and Chip, I think it was a ray as well.
                          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Did it make a run or just continue to pull out drag at a slow/steady pace?

Was it moving up or down current?
                            West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X