Torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque

Has anyone tried the new electric kayaks by Torque? Any advise would be appreciated.
    Fishwhisperer

Electrollyakking

Do you mean the Torque by Ocean Kayak? I have been electrollyakking for some time now, but started with a fabricated rig of my own. Just recently I upgraded my Ocean Kayak Big Game and Prowler 13 from my fabricated rig the the BASSYAKS system with a 44lb and 30lb thrust minnekota and I am pretty happy so far, but it entails some skills and time to fab and install. The idea is great but somewhat expensive. I think I could fab up the same package and similar brackets on my own next time. It is definitely worth it if you already have a nice yak that you are comfortable with and decent trolling motor instead of investing in a new kayak. It is also nice having the prop all the way at the rear making the handling excellent. The optional lift kit is worth it too. Check it out at www.bassyaks.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bolen View Post
      Do you mean the Torque by Ocean Kayak? I have been electrollyakking for some time now, but started with a fabricated rig of my own. Just recently I upgraded my Ocean Kayak Big Game and Prowler 13 from my fabricated rig the the BASSYAKS system with a 44lb and 30lb thrust minnekota and I am pretty happy so far, but it entails some skills and time to fab and install. The idea is great but somewhat expensive. I think I could fab up the same package and similar brackets on my own next time. It is definitely worth it if you already have a nice yak that you are comfortable with and decent trolling motor instead of investing in a new kayak. It is also nice having the prop all the way at the rear making the handling excellent. The optional lift kit is worth it too. Check it out at www.bassyaks.com.
      Hey i think we meet in some unnamed fishing spot in the winter.....me and a buddy were back there in yaks and you wuz zipping around in the distance and we were like dang .......was that you....san leon area....
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
        Hey i think we meet in some unnamed fishing spot in the winter.....me and a buddy were back there in yaks and you wuz zipping around in the distance and we were like dang .......was that you....san leon area....

More than likely, but it was probably before the BASSYAKS conversion. I just finished em up about a month ago. I have been known to frequent the closer waters in the winter months so I do not have to get out of the fart sack so early.

Comment

You told me about a reef on the other side of a drain and you park at the end of a dead end street near a canal.
          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
            You told me about a reef on the other side of a drain and you park at the end of a dead end street near a canal.

Guess not. Unless I have lost yet another braincell, darn the cervesas! Could have been one of my running buddies though. You do look familiar. Either way, darn nice to meet and talk with ya neighbor.

Comment

Your right

Your right, Ocean makes it. The name on the side is Torque. Just wondering if anyone had problems with it. My brother got one and used it a couple of times with me and I was very impressed with the speed and comfort. Especially in the wind and to hold a spot in current
              Fishwhisperer

Comment

I know all the team ocean guys and they say they are kewl as can be.. Only issue is to MAKE sure you charge your battery . Those things are bricks if you have to paddle back a long ways.

Im waiting on mine lol.. As soon as they work me a deal im getting one lol

Thomas
                Capt. Thomas Barlow
                281-827-6815
                www.notoriousguideservice.com

Comment

Everett Johnson took a test ride with pictures in his Texas Saltwater fisherman magazine about a year ago. You can go online to his site and look it up I believe, if you subscribe to the mag. The thing was a rocket..looked like a hoot to drive. I think it went 30 mph. But, like was said , I wouldn't like to try to paddle that thing any distance in an non-operational mode.
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                    Everett Johnson took a test ride with pictures in his Texas Saltwater fisherman magazine about a year ago. You can go online to his site and look it up I believe, if you subscribe to the mag. The thing was a rocket..looked like a hoot to drive. I think it went 30 mph. But, like was said , I wouldn't like to try to paddle that thing any distance in an non-operational mode.
                    No way, the max speed on the torque is like 5.5mph.

That article was about the Surfango (different manufacturer) which tops out around 25 mph, maybe a little more. It has a little gas engine in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Addicted View Post
                      No way, the max speed on the torque is like 5.5mph.

That article was about the Surfango (different manufacturer) which tops out around 25 mph, maybe a little more. It has a little gas engine in it.
                      You are correct Ms Addicted. I actually just bought into the Torque this past week and tried it out over the weekend. Top speed is 5.5 mph and I am super happy with it. What an excellent addition to my electrollyak arsenal. That makes three now and I am considering letting my Prowler 13 with the bassyaks kit go for a reasonable price. I have not posted it yet because I hate to part with it. Maybe to the right person, we will see. Anyway, back to the Torque, it is not that bad of a paddle if you are used to paddling. I turned the motor off and paddled for a while just to see. I was used to paddling the Big Game though and I find it a similar chore. I would recommend it to anyone. Besides, any faster than that you would lose out on the stealthiness I love so much about kayaks.

Comment

I battled the wind last weekend while my brother cruised by me, again...... I am asking Santa for one this year. Perhaps some improvements will be on the next model.
                        Fishwhisperer

Comment

those are awesome how much are they?/
                          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                            those are awesome how much are they?/
                            Checked Academy and BassPro.. both were coming in at about $1700

Comment

You can really bargain with them at the fishing show. I know two people that went to the fishing show at the George R Brown Convention Center last year and saved around $400 each......
                              Fishwhisperer

Comment

Working...
                              X