Question concerning pompano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concerning pompano

I'm just curious...does anyone ever specifically target pompano? I've lived in TX now about 5 years and before that I lived in Tampa, Fl. There were a good number of fisherman that targeted them and I just haven't seen or heard that here, but I see pompano being caught once in a while. If you do target them, how do you go about doing that. In other words where do you go and what do you throw?

I don't think anyone I know targets them, but there has been several caught and reports on the forum.
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Pompano

I don't ever really target them...but usually at least once ever summer when I'm down at the pass with the family we get into them in the surf when the water is green. Carolina rig with a live shrimp has always been the ticket for my 8 year old and me. I've never caught one on an artificial but have heard you can. I don't think there is a limit??? but I'm not sure. Really good eating filets on the grill!

Comment

I caught three the other weekend on PINS during the holiday.We used to catch quite a bit early in the morning on dad's pier in port Mansfield......they run the surf this time of year try a gold or silver spoon.We used to fish with ultra-light as a kid and that was a blast.
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

I specifically target them its a closely held secret & I rarely bring anyone when I go I learned from a guy down in Florida who taught me when I was there one weekend.
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! When I was in Florida, anglers would catch them on small crabs, shrimp, and sand fleas (many considered sand fleas the best live bait). There were some who just used jigs all day long specifically for pomps. I have heard that pound-for-pound they are one of the best fighters and have also heard one of the best eating. Here's one article from the captain Mel site (site is real popular in FL) that i found pretty helpful if anyone's interested...
            http://capmel.com/Pompano_A_Well_kept_Secret.htm

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
              I specifically target them its a closely held secret & I rarely bring anyone when I go I learned from a guy down in Florida who taught me when I was there one weekend.
              I knew somebody was holdin out!

Comment

PINS Lure

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                I caught three the other weekend on PINS during the holiday.We used to catch quite a bit early in the morning on dad's pier in port Mansfield......they run the surf this time of year try a gold or silver spoon.We used to fish with ultra-light as a kid and that was a blast.
                What is the PINS lure? For some reason I'm thinking it's a plastic fish imitation of some kind, but I'm not sure. Could you give me a link or somewhere I could see a picture of that lure? Thanks for your input!

Comment

Originally posted by spannymacker View Post
                  What is the PINS lure? For some reason I'm thinking it's a plastic fish imitation of some kind, but I'm not sure. Could you give me a link or somewhere I could see a picture of that lure? Thanks for your input!
                  I think he was talking about Padre Island National Seashore, not a lure. Now that you mention sand fleas, I think I have heard before that pomps like em. good luck
                  XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

Sand fleas are their favorite food. In Florida you can sift through the sand with sand flea rakes and catch them or buy 'em. I use jigs, all tackle purchased from local shops in Florida.
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by XtremeAngler View Post
                      I think he was talking about Padre Island National Seashore, not a lure. Now that you mention sand fleas, I think I have heard before that pomps like em. good luck
                      I don't know why I thought that was a lure...duh...now i feel stupid

Comment

Sand Fleas

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                        Sand fleas are their favorite food. In Florida you can sift through the sand with sand flea rakes and catch them or buy 'em. I use jigs, all tackle purchased from local shops in Florida.
                        Do you know if there are any sand fleas at all here that the pomps feed on? I've never noticed any on the beaches. The reason I'm asking is i picked up some plastic sand flea imitations at FTU a few years ago on one of the annual tent sales they have. I figure if they feed on any sand fleas here then that lure might be effective, but if there are absolutely none on there shores, then the lure would be ineffective to the pomps (in other words not on their meal list).

Comment

I've seen them caught on the Surfside Jetty. I would get a very small hook and use a small to medium size live shrimp. Suspend it under a cork a couple feet near the rocks and you might catch a few.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
                            I've seen them caught on the Surfside Jetty. I would get a very small hook and use a small to medium size live shrimp. Suspend it under a cork a couple feet near the rocks and you might catch a few.
                            Thanks for the info!!

Comment

Working...
                            X