Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All. I justed picked up a used Kenner a couple of months ago and a new member. I have not taken my boat down to Galveston Bay so am asing for some help. If I want to fish the jetties (north or south) where would be a good place to put in? Any cautions/danger that a new boater to the area should know? Searching the forum, I,ve seen good posting about the boat cut. In general, where is that? I am going to pick up a fishing map of the area and would like to see if I can find that area. Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Welcome Aboard.Im sure some of the boat owners will chime in soon
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Welcome aboard. I usually launch at GYB if I plan on staying out past dark cause of the short boat ride but when I will be back early, then I launch under the causeway bridge. It's a longer ride but not to bad,plus lots of spots to fish on the way in if the jetties are not producing.I think the boat cut is 2 miles out from the base.not hard to find,just look for all the boats.Good luck and post up some reports.
      fish caller

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. this will sound like a stupid question but: Am I right to think that the boat cut is a literal "boat cut" passage from one side of the jetty to otherside?

Comment

that is correct.If you can, go to google earth search Galveston bay and you get a good look at the area.
          fish caller

Comment

Welcome and enjoy the site.
            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

The boat cut is at the north jetty and yes boats a stacked up there like cord wood on the weekends.The galveston yacht basin is the nearest boat ramp ......now is the time to fish the jetties......soaking shrimp ......good luck and Welcome.
              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Good luck and welcome to FWE.

Comment

welcome!!

Comment

WooHoo... My favorite place to fish. I will be out there Saturday morning. I always launch at the GYB. $10 and plenty of safe, easy access parking. They have live bait and ice, and the ramps are in great shape. They have cleaning tables with running water. The only bad thing is the porta-cans, but if you sweet talk the honey at the guard gate, she may give you the code to the private restrooms.
                    Just toss a live shrimp or croaker right up against the rocks and you will come away happy.
                    We'll be easy to spot out at the rocks, we'll be in the Carolina Skiff 258DLV with all the bent rods...
                    "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
                    "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

thank you all. I got invited offshore fishing this weekend so I will try the jetty next weekend. Will post report of offshore trip tomorrow night. Good luck this weekend.

Comment

my first trip out nearshore/offshore from Surfside. 3-4' sea in the morning but laid down as the day went on. started trolling and hooked up on a nice king within 5 minutes. we had two more that came off in the next hour. drop anchor at some spot in 70' water. lots of small snapper but end up with three keepers on cut bait. ended the day with 3 limits of kings and 3 snapper. Left the camera in my car when I met up to ride with my buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by hmn519 View Post
                          my first trip out nearshore/offshore from Surfside. 3-4' sea in the morning but laid down as the day went on. started trolling and hooked up on a nice king within 5 minutes. we had two more that came off in the next hour. drop anchor at some spot in 70' water. lots of small snapper but end up with three keepers on cut bait. ended the day with 3 limits of kings and 3 snapper. Left the camera in my car when I met up to ride with my buddy.

Sounds like you had fun catching fish!
                          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Welcome aboard.
                            The Jetty's are a good place to catch a variety of specie's of fish. GYB is your best bet. That would put you close enough to the ship channel and the jetty's not traveling to far. Heading out of the ship channel turn to starboard into the channel. The boat cut is about 2-mile's from the YB. Now with the cut there are some tip's to keep ya'll safe. You will see the cut to your port side as your heading out the channel. Caution when entering the cut. Please stay directly in the center of the cut. Those big rock's are pyramid shaped(stacked)on both side's. That is why you want to remain in the center. Your boat does not draft as much water as other vessels. When you are going through..you want to make a starboard turn as soon as you go through the cut. The water depth is about 3.5 to the port side heading out.Stay starboard of the cut! At high tide..low tide it gets shallow quick. I have found a couple of good spot's on the N side of the cut. Right past it..anchor just outside the cut on the N side. You can catch Big red's and trout. Spanish Mack's,shark's etc. Have a good fishing trip and stay safe.
                            They like shiny spoons...

Comment

Reeling 65

much thanks for the great info. I am new boater and appreciate everyone's help. I just want to hang with my 7 yr old daughter and put on some fishes. Sound like this is a good spot to start. getting thru the cut sounds triky for a newbies. I might have to go around with my daughter in the boat. If you have any other safe spots in the area (in case that does not produce) I would be very appreciative. I think catching just piggie perchs or sand trouts would put a smile on her face.

Coming down from Houston, what is the best route to get to the GYB?

Thanks again all.

Comment

Working...
                              X