Calais DC Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calais DC Review

I just purchased 2 Calais DC 200 Low Profile Bait Casting reels.I have been using Calais reels in the 100 & 200 series for around 10 years.The Calais DC performed better than expected.I was able to cast an 1/8oz. jig with a bass assasian just as far as a 1/4oz. jig with bass assasian on the Calais 100 & 200 series or the Core. The control of over-run and backlash was easily maintained to a minimal amount.Down wind was unbelievable long cast with no backlash.Into the wind was good,but some small adjustment's needed to be made for no over runs. I highly recommend these reels for the hardcore angler who wants to get the distance there missing with the other top of the line reels made by Shimano.I was using 10lb. big game with a 20lb. floracarbon leader attached with a blood knot.The lures were 1/8oz jig,1/4oz. jig. Skitterwalk and the Gary Coleman.Plus when you purchase these reels you get the Platinum Premiere Service Plan from Shimano.

Thanks for the review!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Man I need one of those!!!
      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Rick i'm afraid to ask how much they cost?You gonna get rid of some of the 100 to 200 series can we call it The sneeky peke sale to benefit the ..lol.thanks for the review.
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

These reels retail for around $650.00 you might find some on e-bay a little cheaper.I usually cast a series 200 calais with 1 brake out with and cross wind.Into the wind I'll have 2 brakes out.These rells have a wind setting so you can cast into a strong wind and with a switch of 1 setting turn around and cast super far with the wind go back to the wind setting and continue to cast into the wind,without ever opening the side plate open.The brakes are designed to slow up to 50,000rpm compared to 10,000 on a 200 series.It usually takes a very good product to impress me when it comes to reels and these so far have surpassed my expectations.Of course only time will tell how they hold up over the long haul.Shimano will clean these reels twice a year for free.Sorry to say I'm holding on to my series 100 & 200 Calais reels,you can never have too many reels...I'll report with a follow up once I have a couple hunderd hours of fishing time with these reels.

Comment

Thanks for the review !!
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Well as some of you may know i have fished with Sneakypete for around 25 years. He always has had the latest and best equipment from the days of Lews speed spools and Jumpin Minnows to the newest shimanos. I fished with him and lurefisher yesterday and had a chance to throw the new reel. It is AWESOME. the only problem i see with it is you will need a Louisiana Liscense to fish with it !!! It really will put a super spook out of sight. If you fish alot,it is worth the price. Just my two cents.
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

more reels!!!!! good research bro
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                  more reels!!!!! good research bro
                  Yeh but the crazy thing is the box the new reels came in said don't use braid you might loose to many lures!
                  10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

sounds nice,wish i had one!
                    the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X