Fly Fishing by Moonlite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing by Moonlite

Has anyone ever fly fished at night? If so, what flies/colors did you find effective? I was thinking about heading out tonight/morning at the begining of the incoming, the moon should be overhead and bright enough to see tailing/wakes. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

I use a spoon fly or a gummy minnow cause they have a nice reflection
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

IMHO when it comes to reds in the marsh on the fly at night (or day time for that matter) it is much more important where you cast than what you cast. If you cast anything in a size 4 or 6 about 1 to 2' in front of a cruising or crawling red thats anywhere about 30 to 50 feet away without spooking it and then wait and twitch the fly when its in front of him and then strip strike when you feel a resistance then it will be fish on no matter what pattern you're using.

Comment

Very true.
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

So…I paddled out about midnight which I found out was a little late as far as optimal moon position is concerned for being able to see tonight. On the way to the flat I scared a nice school of reds that gave me no previous indication that they were there. They croaked loudly as they fled away. I made it to “my” spot and sat in the kayak for a little while had a cup of coffee and just listened as the tide brought increased activity. Actually, I think there was probably more activity when the moon was high during slack tide. I wasn’t able to see as well as I hoped and also realized fly casting in the dark is another skill all to itself , “Use the force”, comes to mind. I turned my wade into the moonlight using the reflection on the water to help see. After a few blind casts to what I could hear, I saw the wake of a larger fish in the reflection of the moonlight, made my cast and landed the fly just behind her. As I was picking it up for a better shot the wake turned to the fly, grabbed it and then I ripped it out of her mouth as she crashed the water. Ahhhh!!! I’m working on my patience. I waded a bit longer until some clouds rolled in and then called it a night. On the way back to the kayak I turned on my headlight. The water was clear, cool, and beautiful. The glowing eyes of the shrimp were everywhere. I wonder what they are eating?! I caught a few by hand. A blue crab ran straight up to me, pinched my boot and then ran off. I sat in the kayak with the coffee for a while and just listened. You could hear fish everywhere, couldn’t see ‘em, but they were there. It was a pretty cool night. I can’t wait to get it just right.

Comment

Working...
          X