Onboard battery charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onboard battery charger

I am preparing to purchase a 2-bank onboard battery charger to maintain both my 12 volt starting battery and 12V trolling motor battery between fishing trips. At this time, my boat does not have an on/off battery switch installed on the starting battery cables. Also, when I am finished using my trolling motor, I always unplug the electrical power cable.

After installing the onboard battery charger, I would like to leave charger's cables connected to both batteries 24-7.

Question - If I intend to leave the onboard battery charger's cables connected 24-7, should I also install an on/off battery switch on the starting battery cables?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Cajun,

I have the same type set up for my poling skiff. I do however, have a battery switch attatched to my starting battery.. I keep mine on all the time and rarely turn it off. One thing you will find is that you do not need a battery switch. It would not do any good in my opinion to add one if you dont have to. The way the battery charger is connected is to the battery itself, so the switch would do you no good.

Thats the way I see it anyways..
    Capt. Thomas Barlow
    281-827-6815
    www.notoriousguideservice.com

Comment

Why do people have these 24/7 chargers? I have never charged my starting battery, and only charge my trolling deep cycle when it needs it.
      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I go out with a full charge on my trolling motor batteries. Convenient to just plug in the 3 bank charger and go to sleep.

The cranking battery usually doesn't need a charge even though I'll run a live well for the fish I catch. If I know it's a full day trip with live bait running both baitwells, and electronics, I'll top off the cranking battery.

Comment

I see and that makes sense. I don't have a live well or bait well, and only usually use the trolling motor in the winter.
          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

Comment

Working...
            X