Fly suggestions for blind casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly suggestions for blind casting

I am new to saltwater fly fishing and don't have a boat to go really shallow. I do tie my own. Can anyone suggest flys for situations when you are just blind casting. I am guessing a spoon would work, but don't have directions to make these. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

D.O.

[QUOTE=Dick;84973]I am new to saltwater fly fishing and don't have a boat to go really shallow. I do tie my own. Can anyone suggest flys for situations when you are just blind casting. I am guessing a spoon would work, but don't have directions to make these. Any help appreciated.

Clausers, poppers and spoons all work depending on location and conditions. Try this for a killer spoon pattern.
    http://www.nwmangum.com/spoonfly/index.html

Comment

Skiffstiff

Go to Scott Sparrow's web site Kingfisher Inn ,Laguna Madre,for spoon fly instruction on his style of spoon.
      Seaducers ,bead chain clausers for shallow water(6-24in)

lead weighted flies for deeper water.

All flies in bright colors mainly chartruse for attractor.

Comment

similar to the above. Clousers probably top the list. Chartreusse and white most of the time then red and with or purple and white. Bead chain eyes for shallow and lead eyes for the deeperstuff. Seaducers are great pretty much anywhere. Spoon flies tend to sind fairly slow, so more for the flats. Bend Backs in chartreusse or olive are great for blind casting on the flats too. another fun one for the sometimes off color water around Galveston, the rattle rouser. For the most part, our fish aren't that picky about flies, it's more a question of casting them in the right places.
        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Chartreuse and white most of the time
          x 2. Great pattern for beginner tiers as well.

Really take time and vary your retrieve and you'll get some!

Comment

Working...
          X