Yan's 1st hunt... Close of Duck Season 2008-2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yan's 1st hunt... Close of Duck Season 2008-2009

Left Houston yesterday morning around 4:15AM. I arrived in Tiki shortly after 5AM and loaded up the boat. Yan arrived and we got all his gear on the boat. Got all organized and left dock. Instead of traveling down the Teakwood channel from the launch to ICW we went in front of the homes and cut off a good 5-10 min of travel time. We left the launch around 5:30 AM

We arrived at our spot around 6:00 AM and noticed nobody was out there so we took our choice of setup locations. About 5 min afterwards we saw the Halls Bayou Ranch guys motoring down the levees towards there hunting areas.

We setup 30 decoys or so and a Teal & Susy Mojo

The early morning hunt was slow. Halls Bayou guys were shooting left and right and for about 30min Yan & I sat there patiently waiting seeing the occasional solo bird however just out of range and non responsive to calls or our decoys.

Around or a little before 8AM the winds switched out of the North & our once calm landing area became slightly choppy. I was extremely worried, we hadn't shot one bird and we were no longer in a protected area.

That did not stop the ducks, in a matter of minutes we had wave after wave of ducks landing on us. Singles, triples and large groups of Teal became flying after the front pushed through. We sat there constantly scanning the sky.

Yan shot his first Teal which was really exciting & Sadie picked up all 10 birds. Depsite not being able to go this morning, I'm sure glad I was able to end the season on such a high note!

Below: Sadie, Me & Limit

Below: Yan & Limit

Below: Yan & his first duck!

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

It looks like yall had a good time and maybe next year I can get in on one of the hunts with you.

Comment

Dang, looks like yall had a great hunt! 2 man limit at the close of the season, you cant beat it!! Congrats Yan, hope the bug didnt bite you too hard or you are in for trouble and a drained bank account.

MM
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Crappieman, gotta get you out on it. We'll go stalk some reds this summer for sure!!

MM- It was a great hunt I was really worried early on for 45min we didn't have a bird within shooting range all around us it was a like battle once the winds changed I thought it was over little did I know all the birds decided to land on us

Comment

That was a lot of fun, very exciting to see them come in!

MM, I'm afraid I've got it pretty bad. The only thing helping is that the season is over, so I've got a year to spread out the spending

We're about to cook those teal breast up, gonna wrap them in bacon with slice of onion and jap, hope they turn out good!

Comment

Sounds like it! I'm saving mine til Friday...

Academy has 30% off right now!! They close at 9 BTW

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
              Crappieman, gotta get you out on it. We'll go stalk some reds this summer for sure!
              Maybe before nest year I can get all me hunting get down here it is still in East Texas at my house up there.

Comment

Heckuva way to end the season. I wish I could've went some where besides here at work!
                I plan on doing a little investing in the off season myself....it is a lot of fun!
                Don't be a Nancy!
                If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Very nice shoot.Congrats
                  NK
                  Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Great going on the daffies. Nice pics. I heard lots of shooting and saw lots flying around.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Damn that was some good eatin'. Must...have...more!

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                        Damn that was some good eatin'. Must...have...more!
                        LOL... "" says wait til September

Comment

Working...
                        X