fish tx- help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fish tx- help!!

My buddy told me about this website and it is great! I normally fish Venice, but the oil spill put a little damper on that. We relocated our family vacation from Florida to Galveston due to the oil. I'm interested in any input that you all may have for offshore fishing. I need fishermen for the last week in July (will have an open boat towed from La). Let me know if you are interested. Also, I'd be open to any advice on where to fish. I'm in a 21 Regulator, so I have to be careful about weather, etc. I'd be interested in just having a buddy boat if anyone else is going. Let me know. Will

welcome aboard will!
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

Thank you, sir!

Comment

Do you guys really fish 22' boats 20 miles out in 3 footers? I had the Regulator in 3-4's and got my brains beat in.

Maybe it would help to get my trim tabs fixed???

Comment

Welcome Aboard
          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by wdegenhart View Post
            Do you guys really fish 22' boats 20 miles out in 3 footers? I had the Regulator in 3-4's and got my brains beat in.

Maybe it would help to get my trim tabs fixed???
            I was out 50 NM in a 22' with 2-3's last weekend
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
              I was out 50 NM in a 22' with 2-3's last weekend
              and now your 2 inches shorter
              FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

The Youngins can-us ol' farts have to have 1-2'. basically, get a Hotspot Offshore map at Academy . Most places for decent fish (kings, ling and snaps-which snappers close 7/23 in Federal waters -you're in TEXAS now, so 9 nautical Miles is State waters, not 3 like LA) are generally 18-35 miles. You should go out the Galveston Jetties or Freeport and not try San Luis pass-too tricky for a newbie. The Old Buccaneer Field -180 heading from South Jetty is about 30 miles and only a compressor platform is left but buoys mark the structure/rocks. Heald bank is another pretty good area. You could also get Hilton's Offshore Structure Book or Ric Jacobsen's Red Snapper book-both have waypoints for wrecks, reefs and platforms. Be sure and ask us before you plan to go and maybe post float plan and give us your call sign/handle. Most of us use Ch. 69 on VHF and monitor 16. We can also tell ya if we think your float plan is just so-so and make suggestions as to where to try instead. Welcome and keep us posted.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Welcome!
                  10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Welcome and good luck
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Welcome Aboard

Comment

Welcome aboard..and to the best offshore fishing. The south east coast of Texas.
                        They like shiny spoons...

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I'm so disturbed that federal snapper closes the 23rd. I tried to schedule our vacation to florida to hit during snapper season and when we rescheduled to Texas I didn't double check... oh well. What is the season on state waters, and are there snapper inside the federal line?

What's the issue with running SLP? I'm staying at Jamaica beach, so that would be easiest. Trying for sea isle.. any other suggestions?

I'm trying to find a transient slip so that I don't have to launch during the week I'm there.

Weather provided, we're planning on fishing Sat the 24th and Sun the 25th... let me know if you are going, as I would like to buddy up. My handle is Regulator 21.

I will also fish during the week if I can find anyone to go with, so let me know if you are interested.

Thanks again, Will

Comment

I meant I am trying to get a transient slip at Sea Isle.

Comment

Will:

the Pass is full of shoals/sandbars and ya have to know them or you're in 1' of water with crashing waves-not a good thing. You can follow a boat, but there are a lot of idjits that may also run aground while you're thinking they know the area and don't, so I strongly recommend not trying the pass without a buddy boat.

PM JT about a temporary slip-he owns the Marina and may be able to help you out.

The 24th I run the HAPL Landman's tourney, so will not be going offshore that weekend.

Snapper limts in Texas waters (year round):

Snapper, lane No limit 8" — No limit
                              Snapper, red (i) 4 per person 15" — No limit
                              (i): Special Regulation: Red snapper may be taken using pole and line, but it is unlawful to use any kind of hook other than a circle hook.

The problem is, anyone that has a snapper honey hole in TX waters guards that with their life-just like LA, water at 20-30 miles is 50-70' deep, so kinda hard to find snaps in state waters generally in 20-40' depths. Middle Bank area by Freeport is rocky and an anchor stealer, but in winter produces and is state waters-you may be lucky and find some on a state water close-in platform towards High Island/sabine or between sargent/Matagorda areas (lot less traffic, but a long haul), but I'd pretty much plan on a zero or dinks after fed closes. Dang commercials hit the close in spots early and then go deep.

You also need the dehooker and venting tool-make sure you have them. Feds require the hooks to be circle and not stainless. The USCG patrols the Galveston and Freeport Jetties pretty hard, so make sure you are up to date on flares, vests and registration. TPWD GW will not be happy if a cajun aint got a TX Non-resident fishing license with saltwater stamp. You can buy online like Louisiana-Google TPWD. make sure you have your boat registration also-they tend to always ask for that!!
                              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X