navigating sand bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• navigating sand bars

I hear the concept of walking out to the "2nd sandbar", or fish the channel between sandbars etc.... how do you get across the sandbar...better yet, how do you know its a sandbar and not just a sharp drop...never to become shallow again?!?!

You'll know... You walk out into surf first sand bar you hit is ankle deep 2nd is knee deep third comes up to waist if you can even reach it... Height varies based on conditions etc.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by westbay grasshoppa View Post
      I hear the concept of walking out to the "2nd sandbar", or fish the channel between sandbars etc.... how do you get across the sandbar...better yet, how do you know its a sandbar and not just a sharp drop...never to become shallow again?!?!
      and if you found a cut between the snd bars.....remember were it is!
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Also there are really no sharp drop off here along the gulf coast. There are obstructions that create current and cause deep holes yes. Sharp drop offs are always found where there is STRONG current flow, passes, jetties, dikes, bridges etc.

Comment

Best thing to do is walk on out there. The gut between the second and third bar can get 6'. Also what makes this fun is it is a favorite hang out for bull sharks. I like to wrap my ankles in bacon before I head out there...
          sigpic

Comment

wrap my ankles in bacon before I head out there

This keeps the sharks away, they heard about the wild hog attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by reelmacoy View Post
              wrap my ankles in bacon before I head out there

This keeps the sharks away, they heard about the wild hog attacks.

LOL......Here ankle,ankle,ankle
              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

It gets well over 6' between the 2nd and 3rd on a high tide since Ike. I have been neck deep out there several times and tried to swim to the 3rd once, but didn't make it.
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

so.....just keep swimming and at some point Ill be able to touch bottom again?!?!? lol

Comment

Basically...

Listen, the waves break on the sand bars because the bar forces the water up causing the waves to break. You can easily identify the bars by where the waves are breaking on the gulf coast. You typically only see 3 breaks in Galveston.

So if you can't touch and your at the third then water is high lol I can usually stand on it but its waist - chest deep.

Comment

I've seen some monster trout caught in the first gut before. You don't always have to go out to the 3rd to find the fish.

Comment

Your are right about that.

My suggestion. Go out there without fishing gear for the first time and feel your way around. Coe is right about the waves breaking. On a side note, if you are not use to fishing the surf you might want to try it on a calm day!

Originally posted by screamindrag View Post
                        I've seen some monster trout caught in the first gut before. You don't always have to go out to the 3rd to find the fish.
                        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Getting to the third bar can be dicey. My friend almost drowned swimming out to it , strong side current. Luckily his friend "ran " down the third bar, stuck out his rod and my friend took a step onto the nipple deep bar grabbing hold. He rested a while, and made it back in too shook up to fish anymore. I few months ago , I was fishing the Galveston surf at night. Made it out to the third bar on a low tide . When I came in the tide had come in too and I couldn't touch bottom. My Wade-aide wade belt gave me the the ability to float, paddle back in..I swim like a rock. I also wear SOS inflatable suspenders with the wade-aide belt. I'm use to wearing all that stuff and wade box. The surf can be dangerous and I'd rather wear those than be dead....can't fish when you're dead. That Wade-aide floated my butt across a deep gut behind SLP once when I thought I could tip toe across it. If you feel confident swimming, at least wear inflatable suspenders...you never know...if you ever have to use it, you'll be glad you had it.
                          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

alright...well, im gonna have to go out there one day with someone. cause if i can watch someone else do it, I can learn it.

Comment

Working...
                            X