The One- I mean two that got away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The One- I mean two that got away

Well yesterday was an interesting day. Tuesday I fished the surf with a buddy and there was bait everywhere. Caught several trout and kept a few for tacos. After a few beers on the beach we decide if the weather hold like this for wed that I would run my shallow sport offshore. I am a novice at offshore and have been several times but have not capt my own offshore. I pulled my boat out of the water and trailered to the KOA to save some fuel on the boat. We loaded up with extra fuel in portables just in case. We started on the beach front with some different live and artis. Caught several fish but not what we were after. Smacks, sharks, croaker, whiting and hard heads. So decided to pick up and run for the deeper water. On the way out both of my pump crap out for the live bait. Oh well, fresh dead. We go through three color changes and start seeing bait and action around the 45 ft depth. So we start dragging lures. As i am rigging up I notice one of the lures prerigged leader is mono but looks to be around 80-100 lbs with the other steel. We are dragging and maybe 20-30 mins into the drag I grab the rod with the mono and start reeling it in because it looks like it may have picked up some grass. This monster kingfish hits the lure since it had picked up speed from me reeling. He hits with the rod in my hand. He comes out of the water and clears the boat wake. It was amazing to see a fish of that size go airborne that close to the boat. He is screaming drag and doubled over a boat rod. I holler at my buddy to put it in neutral and get the other lines in. About that time bam there goes the leader. chewed right through it. Even more depressing is how big he was and the one that got away. We estimate him to be around 5-6 ft and not sure on weight. Maybe you guys to help estimate. Although I looked at the Star leader board and 51 lbs is the leader. Think it might have been close? So after loosing that way and talking about how amazing that fish was and cuss some more. We look for something else to rig up. We grab a 51mr Mirrolure so now we are dragging that, a spoon, and a skirt. We drag for another 45 mins or so and bam another what looks like a king on the skirt. Drag starts screaming and I tell my buddy is was his turn. He denies and says it is still mine. Was not going to argue with the fish screaming drag and no one on it. I grab the rod and he feels good. Must have already taken about 250 yds off. He is still running and has not stopped. I feel the rod pull down hard and realize the drag is not going out anymore. About that time I see that the line is kinked to itself around the corner of the spool and ping the line snaps and sounds like a aluminum bait hitting a baseball. I see the fish jump several times after he came unwound. We also tried vertical jigging and live/deep bait but only managed a stinking hardhead. We saw a big raft of bait about the size of a football field. We threw lures at them for about 30 mins with no takers underneath. We did see some really large sea turtles that came up several times. That was a beautiful site. I went to grab my waterproof camera to snap some shots and realized the camera does not work so good without batteries. My wife had taken it out to charge it for me. Guess I should have checked. So now with $20 worth of skirts gone and not having too deep of an offshore tacklebox. We decide to drag spoon our spoons and mirrolure back in. no takers on the way in but saw several fish below checking things out. Wish I had bought more lures. Until next time. Tight lines

Very nice report.sounds like an exciting day
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Offshore

Caution, once bitten by the offshore bug it's hard to shake! Sounds like you might be shopping for a 'dual purpose' boat soon. Get a couple of rapala's and secure with wire leader (I use 135lb braided wire for trolling lures) and you're ready for another trip. Lots of fun with the weather we've been having, but watch out for thunderstroms popping up out of no where. They have a habit of forming right over the pass. good job on the kings.

Comment

Nice Trip!!

Comment

Not one, but two got away. Man sounds like a fun trip, for sure. Caution, once bitten by the offshore bug it's hard to shake!
          Great report, too.,

Comment

Great report.....Sounds like fun and sorry about losing those 2!
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

No doubt on the biten by the offshore bug and all....good read.
              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Yeah I have been bitten. Thanks for the kind words guys. The bad news is I am moving to Pittsburgh in a couple weeks and will be there for three years. Trying to get as many trips in now as i can.

Comment

Working...
                X