Dog days and tailing reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog days and tailing reds

Fished all day today with Gene Branum and Gene Jr. It was nothing short of awesome!! We stopped the boat early on a grass flat that had two small slicks rolling out, and saw redfish from that moment on. I didn't come down from the poling platform much today, due to the number of reds we saw. We had singes, doubles and pods moving most of the morning from 7:30 until about 2. We had our share of troubles early getting accustomed to the amount of "lead" required and the speed the fly should move, but after that, Gene Jr, was on!

I think that we hooked 11 or 12 all together, and landed 7 up to about 5.5 pounds. We saw our share of big trout as well, but couldn't get one convinced. All of the fish fell for my shrimp fly pattern, after watching 4 consecutive fish swim past the benback that we started with.

All in all, we saw well in excess of 100 redfish today, but with clouds, some off and on wind, and the fact that the water was off color from the SW wind, I felt that we did fairly well.

couple of pics from the day are attached, and the best of the podded fish pictures that I could managed with all the excitement. The last one is the assortment of flies we used, bendacks and the shrimp fly that they ate.
    Attached Files
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Sweet!

Comment

Comment

fly fishing

good job steve! good pics too. i like the one of the tailing reds . that will sure get your ol heart to beating. i wished i could have made it today. any way we will do it soon.

Comment

Way to put them on the fish Captain Steve.
          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Nice pics - and good looking shrimp flies.
            Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
            and
            Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Galveston?

Awesome day and great pics! Was this in Galveston or nearby or were you in the Laguna Madre? It is so hot in Galveston I am surprised the Reds were in shallow till 2 if it was around here.
              If we don't leave any, there won't be any.

Comment

Great report Steve
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice pictures and great report. Way to go.

Comment

Excellent report. Very nice flies. Good fishing.

Comment

Thanks! Greentide, it was upper coast, reds love hot water. They did bail out a little deeper somewhere around noon. But they were up there from the moment we hit the shoreline until about that time. You could still pick one off here and there, but mostly they vacated.
                      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Very nice! Like those flies.

Comment

Great report!

Comment

Working...
                          X