Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHF radios...comments?

Do you own one?

Can you recommend one in the $200 range.

What about antenaes?

Pros/cons, etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

I think the ICOM 34 is probably the one you're looking for. I think Texxan1 has last years version of it and recomends it. I have a Cobra that I can't find online anywhere that works good for me.
    Last edited by 007; February 1, 2009, 05:25 PM.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Icom M34

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Are you mounting the radio in a boat? If so, I'd get a cheapy at Bass Pro or Academy, Boater's World or West Marine-get 25 watt with all US channels and weather stations-cheapies are about $100-120-they aint the waterproof models though-just water resistent-so if mounting in glove/radio box, they're fine-or use a case/box/cover if mounting on dash. If using for offshore, you should consider the newer models that have built in GPS locator, so if in distress, the radio gives Coasties location. Antenneas-Shakespeare VHF-you should get the 7-8' if for offshore; and if solely for bay, get the short one that can mount on your console so it aint in the way-you'll need the mounting bracket also for the long antennae-about $10-15-maybe $25 if getting the SS rachet type-I prefer the plastic one-cheaper. Don't forget to lower it after trailering or if going under San Luis Pass (yes, I've snapped a couple). As far as handhelds, get the waterproof floating model-I believe Coe posted it above-make sure it's waterproof and floats. Good idea to have both on board.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
        X