Teal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teal

Ok I don't want to sound ignorant or not but I got on a Duck and Goose lease this year for the first time and with Teal season coming up I don"t know what size shot to use for those little you know whats? I need some help?

Originally posted by mjh View Post
    Ok I don't want to sound ignorant or not but I got on a Duck and Goose lease this year for the first time and with Teal season coming up I don"t know what size shot to use for those little you know whats? I need some help?
    For teal I use #4 steel shot (3" or 3.5")

Big Ducks #2 or #3 (3" or 3.5")

Geese BBB / BB or T shot (3.5")
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

[QUOTE=WestEndAngler;90730]For teal I use #4 steel shot (3" or 3.5")

Duck soup as it hits the water!

Comment

What are the best steel pellet sizes, load and chokes for ducks?

That's a pretty broad question and you'll likely get a lot of opinions about this or that pellet, load and choke. It really comes down to how far do you want to shoot your ducks and what kind of ducks you are shooting. Obviously, shooting teal at 30 yards is a different proposition than say shooting mallards at 50 yards.

If you get ducks inside of 40 yards they just aren't that hard to kill, just tough to put the pattern on their front end sometimes. At normal decoying ranges (20-40 yards), steel #4s, #3s or #2s (provided they are choked properly) will take care of most any duck business you have. Obviously, it is better to use small pellets on small ducks to increase pattern density and larger pellets for larger ducks to maintain pellet energy, but generally any of these would be a good starting point for ducks over decoys.

It doesn't take a 3 1/2" or even a 3" shell to effectively kill ducks. A 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz. load @ 1,375 fps will kill ducks at any reasonable range if it is choked properly for the distance you are shooting.

For chokes, take an IC, LM and Mod. with your shell/load of choice and head to the pattern board to see which one works best in your gun. Out to about 35 the IC will probably do best, 35-45 the LM may do best, and from about 40-50 the Mod. may be the best choice. The ONLY way to find out is to pattern them!

When you start getting outside of normal decoying range (>40 yards) and shooting larger ducks you'll need to go with larger pellets (#3s or #2s) and tighter chokes to maintain adequate pellet energy and pattern density. Beware, when you get beyond 40 yards it not only becomes more difficult to hit the duck, but it also becomes more difficult to find a load/choke that will maintain adequate killing pattern density with larger pellets. Not that you can't find a combo that will work, but you will need to do some pattern work to make sure you are shooting a lethal combo.

Normally, I am shooting steel #4s and IC for close decoying and/or small ducks and later in the season when I'm shooting mostly mallards I shoot steel #2s with a Mod. choke. Steel #3s are a great compromise, but many times I can't find them so I go with some combination of #4s and #2s like having a #4 for the first close shot and follow it with a couple of #2s.

As far as velocity, get loads in the 1,300 to 1,500 fps range and neither you nor the duck will ever know the difference. Many of the hyper velocity bunch don't agree with me on this but to each his own. Put the pattern on the duck and he's dead!!!

For me the best reference concerning duck load lethality and minimum pattern requirements is Tom Roster's CONSEP Lethality table. Try and get a copy of it and study it for your load/pellet/choke selections.

Remember, if you can't put the pattern on the front end of the duck little else matters!!!

Good luck.

Comment

Good read Coe ....
          FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

That is good stuff. It helped tremendously.

Comment

I usually use 20 ga # 6 shot 2 3/4" during teal season.
              www.deltawaterfowl.org
              North Houston Chapter, Chairman

CEO - WNDC est. Sept 2006

Comment

If your a bad shot shoot #2s. You can hit them in the foot and still bring the little jets down.

Comment

Originally posted by btoptrip View Post
                  If your a bad shot shoot #2s. You can hit them in the foot and still bring the little jets down.

I'd have to disagree. If your a bad shot go with 7 1/2 or 8. More pellets in the air than shooting 2s, you just dont need that big a pellet hole in them to kill them.
                  www.deltawaterfowl.org

Comment

Originally posted by btoptrip View Post

Remember, if you can't put the pattern on the front end of the duck little else matters!!!

Enough said...

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post

Enough said...
                      Very ture!!!
                      www.deltawaterfowl.org

Comment

Working...
                      X