• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Sprigs

Good read....

Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bink Grimes

Last week, as I drifted along the north shoreline of East Matagorda Bay, I got excited. Not excited about the half-dozen trout I had caught, but excited about the quartet of pintails that flew past.

Pintails? In early August? I know you may have your doubts, but I know what I saw; and, yes, I was just as surprised as you.

Here is another bit of great news: the one-bird-per-man limit of pintails per day has been raised to two for the 2010-2011 season. That is the best news I have heard since waterfowlers were able to harvest three a day during the 1997-98 season. I remember that season well because during a three-day period, a blind I hunted in Chambers County gave up eight banded pintails.

Regular duck season frameworks will not be finalized until the end of this month, however, expect a mirror of last year when the most liberal 74-day season and a six-bird bag limit was adopted. Preliminary reports indicate an Oct. 30 opener.

Until then, dove and teal are on the menu.

Dove season in the North and Central Dove Zones runs Sept. 1 through Oct. 24, and reopens Dec. 25 through Jan. 9, with a 15-bird daily bag and not more than two white-tipped doves.

The South Zone dove season runs Sept. 17 through Oct. 31, reopening Dec. 25 through Jan. 18, with a 15-bird daily bag and not more than two white-tipped doves.

Dove hunters should anticipate strong numbers of birds since most of Texas endured a wet summer which aids in seed production, particularly sunflower and croton.

“Above-average rainfall across most of the state has created ideal habitat conditions for doves,” said Corey Mason, TPWD dove program leader. “I expect above-average production this year and hunt success should be high provided doves are not dispersed.”

However, as is often the case with white-tailed deer, lush, wet, green conditions usually disperse doves, giving them ample water and food over a larger area, as opposed to dry conditions when limited watering holes concentrate flocks.

According to TPWD, Texas boasts a fall dove populations in excess of 40 million birds and its 300,000 dove hunters harvest about 6 million birds annually or roughly 30 percent of all doves taken in the United States. Dove hunting also has a major economic impact, annually contributing more than $300 million to the state economy.

Texas’ 16-day September teal season runs Sept. 11-26 with a four-bird daily bag. With over six million birds expected to head south, waterfowlers should expect another banger session.

“There ought to be plenty of teal,” said outfitter Bill Sherrill of Wharton. “We haven’t had rain in a while so wherever there is water there should be birds.”

A reminder: licenses for the 2010-2011 year go on sale Aug. 15. Last year’s hunting and fishing licenses expire at midnight Aug. 31.

Bink Grimes is a freelance writer, photographer, author and licensed captain (www.binkgrimesoutdoors.com).
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Thanks WEA,good info.
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Pintail are among the early migrators of waterfowl in North America. It is not uncommon to see a few in August and around teal season, and they are always here by the regular season opener. I think this is going to be a great season, I cannot wait! Good post WEA.

M.M.
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Working...
      X