Supplementing a Fish Fry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplementing a Fish Fry

Hey fellas - quick question for you guys.

I'm frying some reds and specs this Friday for a work function at my bosses house. The only problem is that I'm going to be a little short on meat and I wanted to go to HEB to pick up some extra fish to fry just in case we needed it. Would you guys say that tilapia is the way to go? Meaning, will it taste the most like trout and redfish out of what I could by at the store? I just figured that tilapia would probably be the closest thing to specs and reds for the right price.

Would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Originally posted by mallardslayer77 View Post

I'm frying some reds and specs this Friday for a work function at my bosses house. The only problem is that I'm going to be a little short on meat and I wanted to go to HEB to pick up some extra fish to fry just in case we needed it. Would you guys say that tilapia is the way to go? Meaning, will it taste the most like trout and redfish out of what I could by at the store? I just figured that tilapia would probably be the closest thing to specs and reds for the right price.

pm me your # and I'll take you fishing Thursday or Friday to stock your freezer.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

PM Sent. Let me know if you get it...not showing up in my PM outbox.

Comment

Why don't you just come by my house and pick some fish up???? It's almost time for me to start re-stocking so come and clean me out!

Snapper, Grouper, Ling, Amberjack....

Comment

PM Sent. Let me know if you get it...not showing up in my PM outbox.
          Didn't get it.
          I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Where are you located? I'm off Friday and located in League City, and like Tiny, I can spare a couple full bags of mostly trout and reds.

I will be out of town until Friday morning but can be reached via cell at 281-380-4831. Just let me know.
            Last edited by FlatoutFishin; February 3, 2009, 09:40 AM.
            Don't be a Nancy!
            If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

007 - PM resent

Flatout & Tiny- Thanks for the offers...you guys are very generous and I really appreciate it. I live in Memorial Heights. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to get to down there to you guys before Friday b/c I'm studying for the CPA exam every second I'm not at work. It really sucks serious @$$. The only thing I can do at this point is have the woman pick up some extra pescado for me at HEB while she's there later. Any ideas as to which kind I should have her get? I'd like to get snapper b/c it's very mild fish flavor and it would mix in well with trout and reds. But, I know it can be expensive. What about tilapia? I don't want to seperate all the fish when I cut it up to fry, so I wanted something I could just mix in with the specs and reds.

Thanks.

Comment

You must really like your friends if you are frying snapper for all of them

I would recommend tilapia, it'll have less flavor than trout and much less than reds (I don't fry reds, better grilled/baked/ceviched/souped). Alot of people don't like fishy fish, so this could be a good thing, plus it's nice white flaky meat.

This is too late of notice, and you're pretty busy, but one of the best ways to catch a bucket load of fryable fish is to swallow your pride, break out the dead shrimp and small hooks and go to town on croaker and whiting. They are almost always there if the conditions are good, and they fry up great.

Comment

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Freshwater buffalo is cheap as dirt, and it'll be good fryed up. Just don't tell anyone what it is

Comment

Nice....I think I'm going with the tillapia. I'd had heard the same things you'd said about them. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Mallard... Where you live at I am in Rice Military...
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                      X