8-13-2010 slp area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-13-2010 slp area

Friday , I had THE SHALLOWIST show me how to navigate around the SLP area since I'm not familiar with the sand bars in the area. We had a thunderhead moving in , so , we went to Snake Island to be close to the ramp at Sea Isle where we had launched in case we had to run back in. Good thing , because slicks were popping and trout were present , but finicky feeders. Steve got one on top and one with a corky . We had a double rainbow after the rain.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Continued

I caught one on a corky floater and we both had lots of swipes but no hookups with what ever we threw. Two at 18 " and one 20 " with a 5 " partially digested finfish in her gut . All were female.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Continued

We then went to some flats behind Bird Island and fished without result. The water wasn't half bad after a steady , but light SW wind for the past 24 hours. The tide was coming in during the AM and going out in the PM. We moved to another flat to find a small gut and it got a tad shallow. After pushing the boat to deeper water , he showed me the posts marking the boat lane as we ran to Cold Pass and to the cut at Bastrop Bay. We swung around the north shore of Christmas Bay and waded the north shore. We could hear reds crashing bait up in the grass. Nothing there but some croaker I caught on a silver spoon. We then waded close to the south shore where Steve had a good look at a close by 5 foot shark in 2 foot of water. He said he tossed a lure at it to see if it would go away.
      Attached Files

Comment

Continued

I had him show me the boat lane through Bastrop Bay and then into Chocolate Bay where we saw a pod of reds in the grass eating shrimp. He finally managed a rat red out of the pod. We headed back to Sea Isle at 5 PM and I dropped him off. I went back to Snake Island but the wind had increased and the water was choppy and off color. As I got out of the boat and waded to waist deep , I saw a boat coming right at me . I kept walking and it kept coming . Finally I stopped and this yahoo in a pleasure type boat ...2 college age guys and one girl motored slowly right in front of me . I wish I had the presense of mind to take a photo. He yelled something about setting up a drift ( ? ) as they went by 5 feet from me. I dangled my corky inboard 3 feet to bob it over the head of the guy sitting on the port side of me. The prop was 5 feet from me. They cruised on by and into the subdivision next to Sae Isle... Sunset Cove ?....idiots. I then fished the protected side of several geotube cuts.
        Attached Files

Comment

Continued

Fished this geotube cut and had 3 hookups and 3 lost unknown fish . It was getting dark and I started in.
          Attached Files

Comment

Continued

Did you ever see a sunset with so much yellow in it ?
            Attached Files

Comment

END

At the public ramp I saw there were no cleats to tie off to. I had to tie off midway down the walkway where a board was missing and I could wrap my line around the wooden brace . I then backed towards the other ramp since my boat was in the way of launching of the first one . In the dark I didn't see a truck blocking access to the second ramp and I damaged his bumper area. I messed up my trailer tail light. The owner , a young man who works at the marina , and I got the insurance worked out. BUMMER
              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice report and pics.Bummer on the bumper damage
                Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Great story and pics Plugger..........thanks for sharing..
                  " What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak minded ."
                  Captain Augustus McCrae

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post that report and all the pics...good Monday morning read instead of work stuff...
                    sigpic

Comment

They should know not to block the ramp. Yes it a parking area but I've seen golf parts parked in front of the ramp... They need to do away with the public ramp and make the private one open for everyone and have a toll collection where the money generated will go back to Sea Isle or something.

Great shots!
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

"Double rainbow...." "What does this mean...."
                        Cool pix.
                        NoBama

Comment

Great report and pics Henry.
                          sigpic
                          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                            They should know not to block the ramp. Yes it a parking area but I've seen golf parts parked in front of the ramp... They need to do away with the public ramp and make the private one open for everyone and have a toll collection where the money generated will go back to Sea Isle or something.

Great shots!

I would be happy to pay a launch fee . It would help free up the restaurant's parking. I would rather pay a launch fee than have them shut down the ramp.

Comment

Originally posted by PasadenaMan View Post
                              "Double rainbow...." "What does this mean...."
                              Cool pix.

Bad luck , evidently.

Comment

Working...
                              X