Looking for some fishing tips...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some fishing tips...

What's the best setup for fishing the rock groins along the seawall? Live shrimp on a cork or free-lined? Or any other baits, real and artificial recommended? Picked up a few DOA shrimp, looking forward to trying those out this evening, conditions look pretty good. Thanks yall! Oh almost forgot, fishing for specs and reds. Also looking for a "honey hole" to cast net for some bait shrimp, from shore, any suggestions?
    Last edited by Got Fish?; August 17, 2010, 12:55 PM.

Jump in the surf and throw topwaters or tails. Lots of trout and sand trout. 1/2 oz silver spoon does really well also.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

The marshes before you get to the causeway always have people with nets in the morning. Finger mullet work well also and are easier to catch and keep alive. As far as artificials bass assassins, gulp shrimp, gulp jerk shad and some topwaters are a good start.

Comment

Great advice guys, much appreciated. Yeah I've seen the cast netters near the causeway every morning going to work, must be a good spot. Any particular brand/style/color for topwaters that work best? Sorry for all the noob questions, new to the area, but I hate taking my 11 yr old daughter and not catching anything, she gets really excited with a fish on! (As do I..lol!) Just want to increase my chances a little before heading out. Thanks yall!
        Last edited by Got Fish?; August 17, 2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

superspook jr's, and the big ones in different colors. Pink skitterwalk.

Comment

Awesome thanks FP! I'll pick up a few and give em a shot.

Comment

I have good luck with the Saltwater Assassin 4" shad white/chart and red/white out there, 1/4 jig head. I fish them slow and give it a twitch every couple of reels. Gold spoon worked good as well. I have also seen guys using the soft plastic tandem rigs I think maybe TTK makes them, not sure red/chart was a good color I hear. for the kids stick with the soft plastics unless they are experienced the action is a lot better if the sand trout are out. If you go top water you may get better quality but not as much action.

Comment

Well I was able to cast net about 50 shrimp from the marsh area near the causeway in about 30 mins. Took em out to the rock groins, but unfornunately only caught trash fish, fishing them under a popping cork. My daughter caught an undersized red though, so she was pretty happy. After running out of shrimp, I cast netted a full net of what I think were either menhaden or whitebait and used those for awhile. Again didn't catch much other than trash fish. I fished these on the bottom and top. Maybe the trout just weren't interested?? Wrong tide maybe?-was incoming. Just baffled, because I've never been with live shrimp and menhaden and not caught anything worth keeping. Wrong rig setup maybe? Was using a pre-made popping cork rig with beads. I just snapped the treble hook right to the snap at the end. Any suggestions?

Comment

Don't know that it would have helped much with producing game fish for you, but I'm a big believer in making my own rigs with good 20lb flourocarbon leader tied direct w/no beads, crimps, snaps and crud to distract from the natural bait presentation. Many of those pre-made rigs also seem to feature 50lb + crap mono that is highly visible to the fish and does not flex. Good if ur fishing for king macks or sharks, but totally unecessary for bay fish. Purpose made rigs will also improve the hook up percentages, especially for the kiddos.

Tight lines to ya.

Bill
                  "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Comment

for free shrimp hook & buckshot, if going to fish bottom use slip weight with a swivel,12 in. from hook good luck

Comment

Working...
                    X