• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loop Knots

Trying to get opinions on loop knots.

Do you use them?

For which baits?

Which type loop knot?

I haven't used them in the past, but I've always heard they are especially good for adding action to topwaters.

My fear has always been that if any slack is created between the lure and the knot during head shake, then the loop would snap. Similar to grabbing your line just above the lure to boat a fish. I don't know if there is any merit to this thought.

The only knot I use! I use it on tops, Corkys, Assassins, and even using it to tie my hooks on while free lining Shrimp. A great knot that when tied right won't fail. When building your loop make sure the loop is not to big. Sometimes when there to big the front hook on a topwater will catch the loop.

AQUA PIMP
    AQUA PIMP......
    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Here is an animation of the rapala knot that I use. I adjust the size of the loop and then lock down the overhand knot, shown in slide 3, during slide 9. Then I tighten the rest of it, as shown in slide 10

At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
        The only knot I use! I use it on tops, Corkys, Assassins, and even using it to tie my hooks on while free lining Shrimp. A great knot that when tied right won't fail. When building your loop make sure the loop is not to big. Sometimes when there to big the front hook on a topwater will catch the loop.

AQUA PIMP
        Which version do you tie?

Comment

Only knot I use on lures. Once you get use to tying it it is the easiest knot to tie. It has improved my game!
          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

I use it on everything

Comment

Surgeons loop for me on everything!
              sigpic
              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

The Improved Clinch Knot for me I guess that's what its called...

Through the eye wrap 8 times around the leader put the tag end through the loop close to the eye and then back through the loop you just made snug tight.
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I'm too lazy for a loop knot. I just tie the good ol improved clinch knot to a norton quick clip. Works the same as a loop not except its very convenient to change out lures. you also get a swivel out of it to reduce line twist.
                  XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

I use norton quick clip as well... very nice. HOWEVER, change the quick clip every once in a while because the tag end of the metal looses its pinch against the stalk and the lure can easily fall off... especially when you switch to little jig heads after you use big topwaters with larger gauge metal loops (it stretches the spring). I have lost a couple Corkys this way.
                    Use the quick clip with the swivel barrel, it works great with a spoon

Comment

Pat Murray, in his book No-Nonsense Guide To Coastal Fishing advocates a split ring because "a loop knot will flatten on the retrieve".
                      Jay Watkins says use a loop knot because the line can slip inside a split ring. I say use one or the other.

Comment

clinch on a norton clip, or a loop knot
                        Scott
                        "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

I haven't learned the loop knot yet, but all the good fishermen I know use it. I'm too lazy. I use the norton clips with a clinch knot. I've also heard about some other "Clips" that are spirals so they won't fatigue like clips will. I've yet to find them because I live in Galveston and shop at our abysmal Academy.
                          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I use a slip knot for mono. Can tie it with your eyes closed, your fingers cold and in sun or rain. Easy and strong.
                            Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

A loop not is still the one of the best and easiest knots to tie. Add a 5 foot 20 lb shock leader attached via a blood knot to your 10-12 lb mono and you have rig.I now there are many other set ups but you cant go wrong with this one. Matbe I will mae a seperate post with the details!
                              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X