8-19 back to the marsh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-19 back to the marsh

In coming tide early. Like the last few days most of the fun was over by 8:30 - 9:00. still a few stragglers moving around but too hot to chase them for old people. Caught 2. both released. Long distance release on 3 others. Incredible fly fishing from 7:00 to 8:00. I keep thinking I'll see some of you out there.
    Attached Files

reds

damn jim, your on a roll. im glad to see there are still a few reds willing to hit a fly in the west bay marshes this time of year. are you sight casting to most your fish? ( I keep thinking I'll see some of you out there.[/QUOTE]) Jim, some of us got to work! Keep it up

Comment

WTG JIM ....Nice fishing!!!!!
      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

nice report and pics

Comment

Thanks for the report. I'll be out tomorow am probably putting in at sea isle. I will be in a blue kayak. Still stuggling with casting from the kayak any suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jig head View Post
            Thanks for the report. I'll be out tomorow am probably putting in at sea isle. I will be in a blue kayak. Still stuggling with casting from the kayak any suggestions? Thanks.
            If you are putting in at sea isle my best advise would be: 1). Go straight back deep into the marsh next to Maggies Cove 2). Be there in the thick of the marsh no later than 6:30 ready to cast 3). Look for the fish, don't just blind cast the water. Sometimes you will hear or see a red way back in the grass clumps and sometimes you may only see a shrimp jumping or the grass moving 4) don't spend any time or effort casting to mullet swirls.
            Don't get out of your kayak in the Maggies marsh or you will sink to your knees in the marsh muck. If you're fly fishing practice casting from sitting on the ground untill you can put a fly in a pie plate from 40 feet away. When you find the fish feeding in the grass or cruising the grass line position yourself in front of her and place the fly about 12 inches from her nose. Twitch it when she gets to it and it will be fish on. There are some grass patches in parts of Maggies marsh so also be looking for tails. In 2004 I caught a 30 red in the Maggies marsh with fly rod. From about 30 feet away I saw a swirl and shrimp jumping out of the water. I cast to the spot where the shrimp broke water and it was instantly fish on. Again don't get tricked by tailing mullet.
            Good luck and post a picture of your fish and tell the story on FWE.
            Hope this helps.

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Thankyou for the advice. Will do.

Comment

Great advice Jim and heck of a job of staying on the reds all week. You are definitely in all the right places for the tailing fish this time of the year, and there seems to be quite a few more of them showing up on the shorelines this last two weeks.
                  http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Originally posted by jim View Post
                    If you are putting in at sea isle my best advise would be: 1). Go straight back deep into the marsh next to Maggies Cove 2). Be there in the thick of the marsh no later than 6:30 ready to cast 3). Look for the fish, don't just blind cast the water. Sometimes you will hear or see a red way back in the grass clumps and sometimes you may only see a shrimp jumping or the grass moving 4) don't spend any time or effort casting to mullet swirls.
                    Don't get out of your kayak in the Maggies marsh or you will sink to your knees in the marsh muck. If you're fly fishing practice casting from sitting on the ground untill you can put a fly in a pie plate from 40 feet away. When you find the fish feeding in the grass or cruising the grass line position yourself in front of her and place the fly about 12 inches from her nose. Twitch it when she gets to it and it will be fish on. There are some grass patches in parts of Maggies marsh so also be looking for tails. In 2004 I caught a 30 red in the Maggies marsh with fly rod. From about 30 feet away I saw a swirl and shrimp jumping out of the water. I cast to the spot where the shrimp broke water and it was instantly fish on. Again don't get tricked by tailing mullet.
                    Good luck and post a picture of your fish and tell the story on FWE.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Tried it this morning...I started fishing back in the marsh next to maggies, with not much activity stayed for a bout 1.5 and moved on back to the smaller coves nearer sea isle...had a few good casts to reds in the grass, one was a monster that seamed to walk over the grass instead of swim but my weedless fly decided not be weedless on that cast. I did hook my first sheepshead on fly but lost him right at the kayak...I'm counting him anyway. Thinking the back lakes on the otherside would have given me a better window given the tide...I'm gona put all the pieces together and figure this out sooner or later. thanks for the advise again.

Comment

Working...
                    X