Single hooks vs treble on Mirrorlure type baits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single hooks vs treble on Mirrorlure type baits

From reading some of the posts it sounds like some on you have changed from treble hooks to single hooks on Mirrorlures and other baits, my question is what type of single hooks are recommended to use as the replacements. I have taken off the middle hook on all of my Mirrorlures but when fishing in the surf the smaller fish still manage to get the remaining hooks hooked everywhere. Thanks and stay cool.
    don't lose the big one, change your line.
    Sushidog6

I've never personally done it but I think I've seen people use small "live bait" hooks? Not the kahle style but they make some that say "live bait" on the package. I could be totally wrong, but I would think it would decrease your hook up rate. Only advantage would be if you were fishing heavy grass.
    XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

Janis, good to see you on the forum!!

To all, Janis works for our company and is a really good fisherwomen!! Can someone help her out with her question because I don't have a clue.

Chip, I believe you do this, can you give Janis some feedback?
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

This is an effective practice with top waters. I haven't spent much time with singles on sinking lures, but the biggest issue would be matching the weight of the orriginal hooks. Both Gamakatsu and Mustad make the hook mentioned above. It is simple called a live bait hook. For the most part you will use a #1/0 or #2/0. They work great when fishing in grass flats and don't foul anywhere near as easy as trebles do. I will try to post a rigging picture later showing something interesting about the direction that the hooks face. Good luck!
        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Originally posted by shallowist View Post
          This is an effective practice with top waters. I haven't spent much time with singles on sinking lures, but the biggest issue would be matching the weight of the orriginal hooks. Both Gamakatsu and Mustad make the hook mentioned above. It is simple called a live bait hook. For the most part you will use a #1/0 or #2/0. They work great when fishing in grass flats and don't foul anywhere near as easy as trebles do. I will try to post a rigging picture later showing something interesting about the direction that the hooks face. Good luck!
          On my tops, I use #1/0 #2/0 Gamakatsu with the front hook turned toward the front and the back hook turned up. Hook up ratio seems to be a little lower but the fish are much easier to release.
          I have never used singles on any sinking lures, but it would probably do fine. Like Capt Steve said, the lure would change sink rate based ont he weight of the hook.
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Thanks guys, at least I have an idea now of what type of hook to get.
            don't lose the big one, change your line.
            Sushidog6

Comment

On a side note , you can take the front hook off your 51 and 52 Mirrolures when fishing over shell to decrease the chance of getting hung up .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

this what I being doing with some of my top waters when Im fishing over shell or real shallow water. and like capt. Steve and imhammer mentioned above the biggest issue is the weight of the original hooks to serve the purpose of each lure. on my case Im only replace the front hook(gamakatsu) and leave the original at the back to try to keep the original action, and it has being working for me, but every fisherman has different choices.
                ST14
                Attached Files

Comment

I've was thinking about this the other day. I was getting into them pretty good the other day with a skitter walk but the poor trout I had to realease where getting muttilated. Some I would had released but they where so screwed I didn't think they'd survive so I put them in the ice chest.
                  My first thought was about the action but now that others are doing it, I will to.
                  Thanks for the post and replys
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                  Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Working...
                  X