53rd St Rock Groins-Aug 29th-6am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53rd St Rock Groins-Aug 29th-6am

Went out to try some early morning surf fishing, been going in the evenings with little to no luck other than some specs here and there. Anyways-heading out and was standing on the groin at 6am-ready to cast. Rounded up some bait...was everywhere once again. Just when I was about to cast-all hell broke loose. A HUGE school of reds came within 20 yards of the groin..the water was exploding, with reds, birds and bait. There were 3 others out here including a buddy of mine, we all almost instantly hooked up with bull reds. Mine ended up being 35 inches, my buddies was a little smaller at 31in, and the other guy's line broke, but he was using light tackle, but he did manage to get it up to the rocks for a look, and I'm guessing it was around 30 in. I really need to start taking my camera. We ended up releasing the big fellas. My buddy hooked up once again with a smaller red, 25in, and was once again released. Just as quick as they came, they were gone. We also ended up catching a few trout to throw in the freezer. Live fingerling mullet free-lined with a small split shot was what we used, although I think the other guy was using live shrimp. It was a very exciting 20 minutes or so when those reds came rolling thru. I've never seen anything like it in all my years of fishing from a rock jetty. Next time I'm taking the camera... 'Til next time, keep those lines tight!

sounds awesome...thanks for posting
    sigpic

Comment

sounds fun,congrats on the catch
      Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

good work
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Very cool!! Thanks for the report!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Way to get out there good report!
            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

good report! i seem to forget the camera as of late too.
              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Cool !!
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Cool, I wonder what the surf is going to look like this weekend.

FP10, you are on a boat, but do you have your flippy floppies?

And for those that may not know - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

Comment

OH an video NSFW unless you have headphones

Comment

Originally posted by sublimesurf74 View Post
                        Cool, I wonder what the surf is going to look like this weekend.

FP10, you are on a boat, but do you have your flippy floppies?

And for those that may not know - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU
                        LOL, my daughter showed me this song a few months ago, had a good laugh, good stuff! Conditions should be decent for surf this weekend. I went out last night to throw a few casts, water was fairly clear but there was lots of seaweed, and bait everywhere. Outgoing tide was causing some major rip currents around the groins, so this might pose an issue for waders. I'm gonna hit the surf again tonight or tomorrow morning to see if those reds come rolling back through.

Comment

Working...
                        X