Fly fishing report 8/29/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly fishing report 8/29/10

Went out early Sunday morning with near perfect conditions.light wind and clear sky,and high hopes of catching some fish on the fly.Went to my first choice spot and it was occupied with two fly fishers.Keep on going to my second spot and it was already taken with two more flyfishers. No problem went to my third spot and found it empty. Water was clear but up a little so I set up a pole close to the grass shoreline. I cast to reds for the next 3 hours and never got one of them to eat.I threw shrimp patterns,Seaducers,clousers,and spoon fly.When you can't get a red to eat a spoon fly you might as well quit and go home,which is what I did that morning.The wind changed direction and picked up velosity by that time anyway.It was still a great morning to see that many fish up shallow even if I got a SKUNK !
    Last edited by SKIFFSTIFF; August 31, 2010, 12:34 PM.

Great report Joe. Fishing is better than not fishing!!
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

This isn't the first time that I have heard this in the past two weeks. Flynut and Tidal guide had a lot of refusals recently.

I have a question for all three of you. Was there any visible bait near these fish? They may be keyed on something that wasn't normal. There could either be a worm hatch of some sort, or possibly they are eating small crabs that are showing up now. I haven't been on that stretch of shorline in about two weeks, so I can't comment on what's going on, but will take a look soon.
      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

skiffstiff

I had pelicans and small turns working around me that day,so I was keying on the small to medium baitfish that I could see.I did not see any reds that were grubbing and there was no shrimp activity that I could see.All of the reds that I had shots at were cruising singles with one group of three fish that I found in slightly deeper water.Some fish bolted at the sight of the fly while a few others would track it for a secound or two and then bolt off.A couple of other fish would nip at the fly but not eat it.I felt that they had eaten all night under a bright moon and were just not interested.I changed size and then color but never did find the right combo.

Comment

good report
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

It could be the moon, like you mentioned. My guess without being there is that or something very small. Usually a spoon will get their attention, almost regardless of what they are eating. I will be out there some Friday and this weekend, and let you guys know how they act.

Comment

Do any of guys have success with a topwater fly for reds or specks?

Comment

Originally posted by volyak View Post
                Do any of guys have success with a topwater fly for reds or specks?
                popfly does
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Yes!! There are some great poppers, deer hair sliders, and wool head sliders that work very well when trout and reds are in the mood. Topwater on fly is just like topwater on conventional. You have to be in the right place at the right time. Early morning on the various grass flats around West Bay right now is the time. If you see finger mullet, glass minnows or shad on the surface, give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                  X