Blockade Runners to get NEW DOCK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockade Runners to get NEW DOCK!

Back around November my dad called me and said that he and Mom had talked about it and they had decided to give me a considerable amount of money to help re-build the camp. He wouldn't tell me how much, but he said it would be enough to do something that would make a real difference. Last Friday I opened up my mailbox and pulled out an envelope with a check for $2000!!!!!!!! Holy freakin' cow. I called up Dad immediately and he actually said that they wished it could have been more. Do y'all know I have the best parents in the world? He said the only strings attached were that it all had to be used for the camp.

Last weekend I saw a work barge at the pass putting in a big new dock for one of those fancy places in Treasure Island. I took down the number thinking I would give him a call, but I probably couldn't afford what they would quote me. So I called him on Friday and told him our situation. He said we could pick him up and take him out to look and give an estimate. On Saturday 007 and I picked him up and he came out. He quoted me $1500 for completion of the dock. This included 10 pilings installed and installation of all wood I provided. He would also remove all the derilect PVC pilings that litter the area. I called Dad about it, and he said, DO IT! The guy wants to get to it this weekend. Now I just have to get the lumber. This will likely spend all the money,, but that was Dad's intention. I am so excited about this. That will be one less thing we have to deal with. It will be so much easier to get things done with a full dock, and we'll be able to moore 4 boats again.

Now I just need to get all the lumber down there!

To back up a little, I'll give this past weekend's report. Saturday Mike (007) and I made it down there late due to a veterinary emergency I had. So we made it down around 10:30. Gilbert from met us at the ramp and we met up with another 2cooler ynggun and his dad Mark in Titlum-Tatlum and everyone came to the camp and helped us inload a couple of pilings and other things we had brought out. Mark and I were content to stay at the camp and hang out, but the other guys went fishing. They came back with tales of many bites. After a while longer of hanging out, I got set up to use some expanding foam to plug some of the holes in the walls, but I got a phone call. WhenI came back in the kitchen I found Mark up on a chair filling in holes. Thanks Man!!! I got the new stove going too, many thanks to Galveston Yankee from 2cool for that baby. She works like a charm.

Everyone finally left and we picked up the barge guy for the estimate. When that was over, it was relaxation time. I rubbed down some beautiful New York strips Mike had brought with him and we let them marinate onthe dry rub for a while. We just sat on the porch and began to imagine the new dock and how glorious it would be. Around sunset we threw the steaks on the grill and used the new stove for some fixins. Unfortunately Mike is NOT the grill master he thinks he is. I like my steak med-rare and on 3 occasions I tried to get him to let me take mine off. He just said, "Trust me." and refused. When he finally let me take mine off, it was WELL DONE. He blamed the pre-Ike charcoal. It still tasted good, very smoky. I just kept thinking about how pretty they were when they were raw. We hit the sack early and I clocked 10 hours of hyper-camp-sleep.

I awoke to another beautiful albeit windy day. Mike was enjoying the morning fishing and Glen soon called from the dock. We picked him up and we all got to work. They now have 3 jack pilings installed so we can level the place out, and we picked up the middle 3 inches that day. The door finally closes without trouble now and the windows are a bit more back in true. We've still got 4 or so inches to go, but it's best to do these things incrementally and give things time to settle. I got the kitchen more in shape as I tend to do all the woman's work around the place. In between work bouts, Mike managed to reel in a nice flounder using GULP. With time running short, we got several more contractor bags filled with debris and headed out, a great feeling of accomplishment washed over me as I looked back and saw the place looking just a bit straighter. Things are really moving at Blockade Runners. Thanks Mike!

Next weekend the dock! - Sandy
    Last edited by coachlaw; February 9, 2009, 11:14 PM.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Sorry I missed it! Congrats on the new dock!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Now FoF will have some where to set up those fancy new lights. Can't wait.
      I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

I want to see these lights!
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Yep, I didn't even mention that part. Fishing under the lights, once again coming soon to Titlum-Tatlum. Funny thing is Dad reminded me last night that in 1970 he purchased our old camp in La. for exactly $2000. That was for the whole darn thing.
          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Very nice indeed
            NK
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

nice post coach law. It was nice to finally see the place. I hope to be able to stay longer next time and help out some. Great deal on that dock.

Comment

Sorry I missed the fun. Ill be back in two weeks and we will get together again.

MM
                "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Sounds good ya'll.

Let me know if you want any help with building. Just finished my last class ever (hopefully) and passed by the skin of my teeth It's good to have more free time for fishing or whatever. I live on the island so I'm only 20 min away.

Mike's been burning alot of meat on the grill recently from what I hear

Comment

If you've got the weekend clear, just come on out.

Comment

Working...
                    X