Boat question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat question!

Moving to Galveston and need some advice on a boat. I grew up in South LA, and we did most of our fishing in a 17' bateau(John Boat in TX). Wanting to upgrade. Have looked at the Donzi. Is that the right boat for this area, if not, what is? Need some help! Thanks in advance!!!

Dig around in this thread to get an idea what is used in the area. http://www.fishwestend.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154

I personally have a 19' Blue Wave for the long trips and a 14' Alumacraft jon boat for cruising the Chocolate Bayou area.

bouy

Comment

Love my Tran Sport Baby Cat
      Attached Files

Comment

Bouy and Nwilkins, Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm going to check out that thread now!

I've been looking at the Donzi 23ZF. It's really nice, but I'm concerned, first of all that it's too heavy for my boat lift, and more importantly, that it runs too deep to get to get to the fish! It has an 18" draft. Is that too deep for this area. Sorry I sound like a retard, but I'm not familiar at all with the fishing in the area!

Comment

Base your decision on the type of fishing you want to do most.

Offshore, nearshore, inshore, reef drifting, skinny water, bayous or back lakes.

Comment

If you want to find the reds like you said in your welcome post, you will need something that runs skinnier than the Donzi. Any of the shallower running boats will do great in the West Bay area. You might look at Gulf Coast, Explorer, Shoalwater etc or if you really wanna run skinny look at the cats. Tran sport makes a great cat in different sizes that will float in 6-8" and run at least that skinny. Flats Cat, Shoalwater Cat, Gulf Coast Cat.......etc.
            There are people on this board that run any of these and can give great recommendations.
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
              If you want to find the reds like you said in your welcome post, you will need something that runs skinnier than the Donzi. Any of the shallower running boats will do great in the West Bay area. You might look at Gulf Coast, Explorer, Shoalwater etc or if you really wanna run skinny look at the cats. Tran sport makes a great cat in different sizes that will float in 6-8" and run at least that skinny. Flats Cat, Shoalwater Cat, Gulf Coast Cat.......etc.
              There are people on this board that run any of these and can give great recommendations.
              x2 with the Hammer
              Captain Glenn Stevens
              Coastal Guide Service
              www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Go with the Gulf Coast Cat... In my opinion only of course, I run a 22 foot Gulf Coast Low Side and is a very good boat... But the Cat runs Skinny... My shrink says I'm addicted to Skinny Water... And I don't disagree... Aqua Pimp runs a GC Cat he may give you a report on its performance…
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Hammer hit the nail on the head. Lotta reefs in west bay and some skinny water back lakes. Just depends on your style of fishing-if ya soak shrimp and drink beer, get a mako type hull so you can make the long runs w/o getting beat to heck, but if ya wade and want to hit the back lakes, get a skinny water boat. Jonboat aint any good for any bay crossing due to weather changes and waves-kinda dangerous crossing open water (but I've seen em at 25-30 miles offshore). Go look at diffferent options and look where ya plan to mainly fish-then decide.

Also, it's not the draft, it's the hole shot-drafting 18" don't mean squat if ya gotta putt out 400 yards to make plane. I've made 10" of water, fished and then spent 30 minutes getting out and worrying about eating up the impeller with sand while putting.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Check out the Marshall's!
                    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

A boat that runs stupid skinny will get you in trouble real quick if you aren't familar with this area.

Comment

Originally posted by REEL G View Post
                        A boat that runs stupid skinny will get you in trouble real quick if you aren't familar with this area.
                        True, but any boat can get you in trouble if you don't know the area.

I would stick with a Texas dealer and boat builder so if you have an warranty issue you can get it resolved. If you have a family with small children that should be considered too.

X3 on what hammer said
                        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

http://www.southshoreboats.net
                          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

seeing that you were looking at donzi you are looking for a fast boat, if money isnt a issue go with the lake and bay boca grande 20 foot boat weighs 600 pounds and runs in the mid 70's and is shallow, but i concider fishing with some one who knows the bay and see exactly what kind of fishing you like the most and where cause hitting a reef at any speed isnt pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                              Jonboat aint any good for any bay crossing.

Hater
                              Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

Working...
                              X