Wednesday 9/15 Scouting Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wednesday 9/15 Scouting Run

Made a recon run with Sal to East and Trinity this am. He was on some trout and reds and needed to check on them for the tournament this weekend and next.
    We started drifting a reef that he has been catching good trout on. There were lots of slicks when we got there, but a big shrimp boat pulled in right as we were starting the drift and we only got one bite, so we went to look for the reds.
    On the way to spot 2 we saw some birds working and caught a bunch of sandies and a couple of dinks in them.
    We jumped out about 7:30 in about 3' of water over mud/sand/shell and there was bait everywhere. I started getting blow ups immediately and caught the first trout about 5 minutes into the wade. I planted my feet and stood in the same spot for about 1 1/2 hrs getting blow ups every cast and caught about 14-15 trout from 14" - 26 1/2" (6.25lbs) and some undersize reds mixed in, but no keepers. I had a bunch of HUGE Blow ups today that were coming completely out of the water and missing. I had to have had about 75 blow ups.
    Sal was working a reef trying to find keeper reds and he only found a few undersize reds, 1 flounder and 1 sheepie on tails. He saw me hooking up constantly and yelling at him and finally made his way over to me and caught a few on tails, but couldn't connect on top.
    There was a boat about 1/2 mi down that must have seen me catching fish also because they were about 20 yards from me by the time Sal got there and they caught a few also.
    All fish were caught during (or close to) the major, but we headed back in about 11:00 so I could get to wprk and Sal could get ready for the GRS captains meeting. It was a great morning on the water. Caught and release 2 @ 23-24 and the 26 1/2 as well as a bunch of small keepers and undersize fish and kept a few for my in laws.
    Last edited by imhammer; September 15, 2010, 03:24 PM.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Never had sheepie before Chip, how do your inlaws eat it?
    Nice work on the planting your feet and the 75 blow ups

Comment

Nice catch!
      the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed report ..... great day on the water ..... Congrats on the nicw trout !!
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Nwilkins View Post
          Never had sheepie before Chip, how do your inlaws eat it?
          Nice work on the planting your feet and the 75 blow ups
          They just gut/scale it and cook it whole. They eat everything including the eyes!
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Sheepie eat great! Just takes a Stihl chainsaw to clean one.

Thanks for the report.
            West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Congrats on the catch. Looks like you might be on em Hammer!!! Hope it lasts till the weekend. Sheepies taste good, just hard to clean, start from the top, work down, then filet. TOUGH rib bones.

Comment

Nice job Chip! Didn't see you at the captains meeting, are you and Albert fishing??
                  http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Very nice Chip, good going out there. Need to hook up again!
                    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by shallowist View Post
                      Nice job Chip! Didn't see you at the captains meeting, are you and Albert fishing??
                      Albert will be fishing, but I will be out of town.
                      Good luck out there!
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice report and catch,congrats
                        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Good fishing Chip!!!!
                          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
                          X