9-17-2010 gisp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-17-2010 gisp

I put in my kayak after 7AM when they opened Galveston Island State Park with good water and calm winds and an outging tide . Following the tide lines with bait and surface activity , I netted a small trout after alot of casting . The water level was still high , flooding the grass .
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Continued

Drifting Dana's , I got a little rain from the edge of a passing storm before I got to the far side of the cove.
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Continued

When I got to the west side of Dana's , the wind picked up and rain was on the way .
      Attached Files

Comment

Continued

I don't mind getting wet , I do mind getting struck by lightening . So , I pulled my kayak up into the flooded marsh , positioned the kayak to block the wind and laid down in a foot of water and rested my head on the side of the kayak and closed my eyes to rest and wait it out . My nutria's nest I made was quite comfortable . The water felt warm , or maybe that was the vodka laced porter , and the grass blocked the wind . When I stood up to take a picture of Pirate's in the rain , the wind felt like an artic blast and I quickly ducked back down in my hole . I did have some sort of crab pinch my arm , but I was in his turf .
        Attached Files

Comment

Continued

When it blew past I was wet but alive . I probably have Vibrio flesh eating bacteria up my arse from sitting in that muck for 45 minutes , though !!
          Attached Files

Comment

Continued

I fished the marsh where some guts were funneling water into a small lake and netted some small reds . I fished around for an hour and then the wind really picked up and made it impossible to fish . I headed back across Dana's in a stiff wind and got up on the grass on the south side . Soon thereafter the wind laid down enough to fish for the rest of the day .
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey that is better than sitting at home right?

Comment

Continued

I was up on the grass here casting out when I hooked a red . My line got wrapped around this pole and I had to get out from the shore and past the pole hoping my line wouldn't break . I got past the pole OK and threw the anchor out and got a nice 23 " red in the bag .
                Attached Files

Comment

Great story and pic's. I love a happy ending.
                  A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Contiued

It was late afternoon and fish activity was picking up near the grass . I had some swats at various sized topwaters , but no hookups , so I switched to a subsurface , a corky floater that I worked like a topwater keeping it just below the surface . I hooked and lost another red and trout .
                    Attached Files

Comment

END

After releasing that small red , I worked my way back to the truck in the fading light . I had a nice trout blow up on and mangle my corky for a few seconds before getting off . I had two more swats at the corky ,but no fish ..... ARGH !! Tough day to fish and only one keeper red . Maybe next time .
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mjh View Post
                        hey that is better than sitting at home right?

you got that right !!

Comment

Originally posted by Williep View Post
                          Great story and pic's. I love a happy ending.

It's good to come out alive !! Iv'e been in worse storms with my kayak hunkered down .

Comment

Great report Plugger! Hopefully you avoided the arse eating vibrio-- Glad everything turned out good!!
                            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

another excellent report Plugger....
                              Captain Glenn Stevens
                              Coastal Guide Service
                              www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Working...
                              X