Gigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigs

What do you use? I just have the smooth ones from Academy. Have to be careful to not loose the fish after sticking. For some reason I think I heard barbed gigs are not legal, is this true?

I use the ones from Academy. They work just fine if you are wading. If you are in a boat you will need something better though.

Comment

Yes they would be good for wading. I use a boat, and not very successfully, still trying to figure this stuff out. Too much mud and shell in my area for wading.

Comment

Yes, a true barb is not legal. What I hear is good for boat gigging, is homemade gigs with 2 sharpened allthread points. The threads really keep the fish on well, so you can just pull them up without a hand below them. A boater would likely want a longer gig than a walker too.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
          I was told by a GW that never in the history of TPW has there ever been a law against barbs. He said they don't know where the rumor started . And course I don't have the book with me , nor have I looked it up. somebody please post the truth here . LOL As far as gigs , we use 10' closet poles with homemade 3 prong gigs tips on the end.
          Agree with all of this.

Comment

"Gig:
            Any hand-held shaft with single or multiple points, barbed or barbless"

Comment

I have barbs on all my gigs... along with tennis racquet tape where my hand sits to add extra comfort and grip while walking the flats for hours. I've seen a few gigs that are spiraled smooth so you'd gig the fish then like a corkscrew, turn it and the point would go deeper into the sand and fish would be further up on the corkscrew allowing you to lift and put the fish in the boat or flip it over for stringing purposes.
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Good, I'm gonna go hammer/grind a barb into one of my gigs. Maybe give it a try tonight.

Comment

You don't need a barbed gig if you are walking but b&m fish spears sells very nice gig heads. One of my boat gigs has a b&m point but we had to beef up the welds to handle boat duty
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                  Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by eight View Post
                    Good, I'm gonna go hammer/grind a barb into one of my gigs. Maybe give it a try tonight.
                    Despite mine having barbs I never stick the fish & lift straight up. I always slide my hand under it put the gig points in between the fingers apply upwards pressure on fish so its force against the gig and flip it over keeping hand there... Now fish is upside down and I can put stringer in its mouth without an issue.
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I agree Coe. For the most part a wading gig does not need barbs.
                      There much less damage with a badly placed shot as well.
                      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

you used to be able to buy a stringer that had a large hook on one end and all you had to do was gig your flounder, sep on it's back put hook in outside of jaw,pull mouth open run stringer threw open mouth then pull gig out. keep walking and good luck.

Comment

try to go on single tide nights, slow moving water will give you more time ,the flounders will tend to stay put and bed up. work shoreline with mud bottom, walk against curent, little rays like the same spots.

Comment

I have 2 double pronged allthread gigs and the flounder stay on them until they are in the boat.
                            sigpic
                            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by sawdust View Post
                              you used to be able to buy a stringer that had a large hook on one end and all you had to do was gig your flounder, sep on it's back put hook in outside of jaw,pull mouth open run stringer threw open mouth then pull gig out. keep walking and good luck.
                              Yup, that stringer with the hooked stinger end was a favorite for me on wading trips. The technique about stepping on and the running the stringer through sounds efficient. I might try it hooked stringer or no.
                              Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X