Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship Channel

Does anyone know a good Kayak launch spot for the ship channel. Thanks

That just sounds really dangerous-I wouldn't try it, but prolly TX City Dike is closest other than Apfel park at base of S. Jetty or Ferry landing/Lighthouse area.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Sounds like a bad idea . You especially don't want to be caught out there if the wind picks up and especially it's blowing in your face for the paddle back . Not to mention the frieghter wakes .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Upper Bay it would have to be Morgans Point ramp. There are also some areas that look accessible off the Lynchburg Ferry Rd and that puts you in Burnett Bay, a very good bay in Winter. google map it. Also Sylvan and El Jardin off Todville could put you with reach, but it'd be a paddle! Watch out for waves in these area, especially around Red Bluff and Atkinson Island...they can jack up big time around there!
        Don't be a Nancy!
        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

If i was fishin anywhere around the ship channel i would put in at sea wolf park but would think twice about that.I would think it would not be a safe place for a truck.I would also paddle out to the wreck and fish that whole area for flatties.....good luck FishingRed.
          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

I would not do pelican unless you are dead-set on hitting up the Selma wreck. The launch is ledge and rocks (not the easiest), and more so, they will charge you $12.

The spot I always use is the E. end of Seawall, right after the turn off on Apfel. Park just before or after The Lagoon drain.

The area N. of you is rocks on a deep dropoff. This is a popular spot for bank fishermen. The area S. of you has flats. There is a dropoff further out, and it is easy to visualize with the wave breaks and the currents. The Lagoon drain is right there, and certainly worth a shot on an outgoing tide. There is also a small gut that the current has carved there as it runs out.

Another option is to launch on E. Beach and fish the channel side of the S. Jetty, but they are not allowing vehicles by the water any more.

You are a strong swimmer, right? If not, I would not even try the HSC. Seriously consider wearing a PFD here. If you haven't fished in a pass during a strong tide, the speed of the current will surprise you. Small things like dropping your paddle while anchored (or flipping the dang thing) will become a serious situation.

If you want to anchor you are going to need 100' or 50' plus chain. Difficulty holding anchor is a common theme for novice channel yakkers. Also pay attention to where the current is going (not always with the wind here!) when you attach anchor. An anchor line running underneath you, plus a tanker wave, plus being a little off balance can put you in the water quick. Otherwise, the tanker wakes are only an issue in shallows where they break

Good luck. Normally you see interest in this area during the BU run around April. You going after bull reds?

Comment

I would stay closer to the shore line. Offatts,Campbell,dickinson bayou,8 mile ,jamaica, and any other shoreline. Do you have lights on your yak? Remember you are very hard to see for boaters. I can not tell you how many times I have come up on a yakker without lights and say damm that dude is crazy. The low profile is just hard to see under certain conditions. Also I have kayaked the Texas Water Safari and many other canoe/yak races. The sea can turn on you in an instant in open water. I am not trying to be an alarmist just be aware of your surroundings. Chances are if you are asking these question you may want to ease into the yakking experience. Always wear a PFD while out on a yak. You will be surprsised of the conditions you can face. I have an 18' jon boat and hardly ever venture into east bay because of the conditions I can face. Get with some fellow yakker and they can teach you the ropes and lay of the land first before you go to sea. Good luck and tight lines
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Actually my plan was to go try and get some flounder when they start moving, just read some post here and there that flounder stack up. I know Seawolf is a big flounder spot, and also East beach (jetties) is good for flounder. I just wanted to see if there was any place to launch safely and stay close to land to look for drop offs. I always wear PDF when fishing deeper areas or moving around...even when fishing new areas. After reading all the posts I think I am going to just keep it to my usual fishing areas. I am not as good as a swimmer as I should be, and sounds like there is high traffic and current around the ship chanel (galveston). I actually did not know that people fish the houston ship channel.....

Comment

Thanks for sharing information, and letting me know some good safety information. Hopefully this weekend I can go out and start looking for some flounder, probably not stacking up yet, but Im sure there is some out there in some guts, and even along south shoreline. If anyone can trow in a bone of an area for flounder (not exact spot, but a launch spot), I would really appreciate it, and I will have some time to explore.

Comment

The flounder probably aren't in the channels en masse yet, but it is a great time to target them (and everything else) along bay shorelines. Give it another hard front or two with a big water drop and we may be in business.

Heh heh, I ain't giving away my GSC launches for flounder. I will say this. Guerilla launching is the key here. Any place with parking close to the water is a possibility. There are more than a few. Put in the leg work and you will be rewarded.

If you are after flounder launching from The Lagoon Drain area, you will want to go S. and target the dropoff along the flats there (N is too deep). The current isn't too bad near the shore compared to out a ways. You will need to watch for tanker wakes as they will be curling on the shallows.

Comment

Working...
                    X