first kingfish on the fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first kingfish on the fly

Got an invite to go offshore with tidalguide . You couldnt have asked for better conditions. We ran about 25 miles out and found a rig that was unoccupied so we hooked up to the rig and started fishing. It started off a little slow but the guys on back were bringing up lane and mangrove snapper . I was on a mission. I told brandon I wanted to catch a king on the fly rod. All of a sudden we had a group of cobia come up to the top and we started hooking up. I had the biggest one of the group on and Brandon is hooked up too. Mine decides to make a run under the boat and around the rig line so I put the brakes on to turn it and the hook pulls free. Bummer! Another group apears and it was on again. I finally got one in the boat. I had three cobia on yesterday but only landed one. I have never seen so many cobia in one day at one rig. It was crazy. We decided to start heading back in and check a rig on the way. We pulled up and Brandon hooks up with another cobia. Then we started seeing kingfish so we started chummin and hooking up. I finnaly got my kingfish on the fly rod. Thanks Brandon for an exciting trip!
    Attached Files

WOW.....That looks like a fun day!
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Congrats, just curious, rod weight , leader, wire tippit?

Comment

fly fishing

Originally posted by Nwilkins View Post
        Congrats, just curious, rod weight , leader, wire tippit?
        I was using my 10 wt. all day. I had mono for the ling and when we got into the king I had to switch over to wire.

Comment

NICE! I've had little luck with the fish or conditions cooperating... does make me want to try the OS fly rig again tho. Thanks for sharing.
          "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Comment

Had a great time Doug. We need to do it again before our weather runs out. Got to love sight casting Cobia. We were talking on the way home, and I defenetly think the first one you hooked was pushing 40 pounds or so.

Comment

Nice. Gotta love sight fishing to big fish. Must have been a blast to catch those fish on the fly.

Comment

WOW that is a awesome report...! What a blast catching fish in the blue water on a fly... Thats what dreams are made of right there... Good job...
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

That's what I'm talking about! I wana fly fish for some Kings...

Comment

Sweet!!!! Congrats on the first King on a fly. Nic pics

AQUA PIMP
                    AQUA PIMP......
                    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Working...
                    X