Floaters Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floaters Report

Robert (RSN) and I got invited on a Yellowfin 32 for a floaters trip, we left Freeport at about noon on Friday, ran out to Tequila to refuel and trolled for awhile. Didn't have any action at Tequila so we picked up and continued the trek to Boomvang. The conditions couldn't have been any better, 0-1' seas @ about 9 secs, 80 degrees and about 5kt winds. We got to Boomvang about an hour before sundown, put a troll together and ended up hooking up with a nice blue marlin but lost it after a jump and run back into the chains.

The tuna bite was very very SLOW, we grinded out 13 8-10lb blackfin that were all used for chunking. All we got on the chunks were a cuda and a dorado that was used for ceviche. I've never worked my arse off like we did jigging out there at BV; 10 hours of nonstop dropping to about 400 ft and jigging back up can definitely wear you out. After we finally had enough of pulling up empty hooks at BV, we ran to Nancen at about 4am and had a better blackfin bite over there but still no yellows. It got surprisingly choppy and pretty chilly from about 4:30am until sunrise and then immediately got HOT and absolutely flat again.

After giving up the tunas at about 7:30, we trolled back to BV area and then picked up and went to an area we thought looked good for tilefish and struck gold......Golden Tilefish. We hand cranked 7 golden tiles, 2 blueline tiles, 1 scorpionfish, and 1 unidentified fish (4th picture).

Before we headed back to the shelf, we dropped a couple times for daytime swords and had one hell of a hookup. That thing went from over 1000' to the surface in about a minute and we lost him right when we saw it splash the surface. We weren't able to land it but had one hell of an experience and learned a lot for next time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dn17; October 10, 2010, 06:13 PM.

A few more pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like some fun...!
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Way to go. Nice hooking a blue, sorry she got free.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Jerry,

the guys working on boomvang pointed the blue out for us, it was hanging out on the southside of the rig, we made our turn and got back in the zone, and sure enough we got hooked up the next pass through, it was a cool experience. the funny thing was that the blue hit our 3 dollar marlin lure rather than our high dollar lure.

Comment

Nice trip,great pics.congrats
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Sounds like a Hell of a time! Thanks for the report and pics.
              sigpic
              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Man that's great-dang funny about the $3 lure!! I've never even hooked a Marlin-plenty of Sails and one time my buddy hooked about a 350# while we were fishing, she made 2 jumps and was gone-broke the leader-we were not happy-I about crapped my pants when she jumped.

I aint sure how I would handle jigging 1200'-hard enuf at 80'!!!

You couldn't have picked a better day/night since weather was perfect.

Those tilefish are neat looking.

Did ya find out what that fish (pic #4) is?

Looks like no one else was out there ewither-cool as heck!!!
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

The UFO/ fish is a a barrel fish I believe .....
                  FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Cool, way to get out there, got to love that blue water!
                    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

There were only a couple boats there until it got dark, then about 13 boats showed up. Thats the main reason why we made the late run to Nancen, we hoped there would be less traffic and there was still about 8 boats over there. It might have been "too nice" to get out and have any success with the tuna. We're gonna try to make our next trip a weekday trip, if we can get a window, to avoid some of the traffic.

Comment

Just found out that the mystery fish (picture #4) is a Pacific Beardfish. Never heard of it before, but we'll let you know how it tastes whenever we grill it up.

Comment

It swam thru the Panama Canal????

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg-Q8...e=mfu_in_order

Comment

Working...
                            X