State water snaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State water snaps

I hear they exist. I plan on making a weekday trip soon to seek them out. Thinking I will go out of SLP. Is there anything special I should be looking for? Just planning to check whatever rigs and any bottom structure I can find. Will the fishing get better once the water gets cold?

Not really any platforms in state waters close to SLP. I believe the Caisson at about a 150 heading is in state waters. Be careful-the waves can kick up near the pass. Sometimes ya leave and no breakers, then it kicks up and ya gotta make it through breakers which can get hairy-at the very least wet. Federal snapper is open Friday thru sundays now.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I've never been out through the pass, keep hearing to watch out. Would they be better out of Galveston? I've been to the platform east of the north jetty a few times and it was never good. I think there are a few more platforms in state waters out of Galveston. I'm busy most weekends somehow, but as a bum I never have much to do during the week. Will be going for a real snap trip on Oct 30 weekend and hopefully again in November.

Comment

If you want some state water rigs, Freeport would be the best place to launch, but you can guarantee those rigs will be absolutely packed especially on weekends now with the supplemental snap season open. Theres also some rock formations in state waters between Freeport and Sargent but thats even further south. SLP is a great area to run out of because of the free boat ramp and fairly light traffic, but make sure you REALLY know what you're doing before you try to run from West Bay into the pass as it changes literally everyday.

Comment

x2 with dn17's comments. ya aint gonna catch any snaps outta SLP unless ya plan on going out pretty far (16+ miles at least). I went about 50 last weekend. Not knowing what you are running, has some bearing as to where to go, but like ya already know, any close in rigs are no good for snaps. The Middle Banks are the rocks dn17 mentioned between freeport and sargent and they are a pretty good run from Freeport jetties and yes, snaps can be caught there, but with all the pressure, I wouldn't count on many that make keeper size. Vancouver wreck, but I aint ever caught any there and it's in state waters. If you do not know SLP, you can really get in some trouble there. There is really one way in or out and I run in 6' of water between bars about 200 yards or more out from surf/beach-if ya miss the channel, you will be aground in crashing waves and currents and it aint good!!

The best time to try SLP is when it's calm and green and you can pretty much see the "channel"-it IS NOT straight out perpendicular to the bridge (like some think and learn the hard way!!). Sit and watch the boats going out-remember, the boat ya follow may not know WTH he's going!!
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

theres a stand pipe 8-9 miles infront of sea isle. once the water temperatures cool off, that rig should hold some keeper snapper, as well red/black drum and sheepshead. although there is usually a lot of sharks around there

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Do you think the fish will move in to the close rigs once the fishing pressure goes away (end of extra-snap season, and start of deer rifle season)? I might be better off to wait until December or so.

I'll be running a 21' Wellcraft. I don't like to take it more than 40 miles out.

Comment

Snaps are closed in December except state waters.

As to ?, I dunno, maybe.

Comment

Last weekend out of Galveston. The snaps were at all the close rig's. Though they were all undersized,catching them all day long. This weekend we will be heading out due south out of Galveston. Going towards deeper water rig's...hope to put a limit of sows in the box.
                  They like shiny spoons...

Comment

Working...
                  X